Parking brake adjustment question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried adding 5 washers (total thickness ~ 3/8") to the e-brake equalizer, as in the picture. It didn't make any difference to the parking brake. I suspect the washers may have been installed to reduce how much the nut had to be threaded on. I have the new parking brakes shoes, but haven't had time to install them yet.

Larry

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not gotten to this project yet. Cables stretch over time, but i would imagine with new shoes, it should not need washers.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got to this... I took everything apart on rear. Shoes are in perfect condition. I had a hell of a time adjusting though and never found the section in the FSM about how to adjust (I hate the FSM... So poorly written); maybe it is not in the parking brake section?

Anyway, I removed most washers but what i found did not really match what was in the FSM. It seems like the threaded rod at end of cable was pulled through the equalizer bar. In the FSM, it seems like the rod goes through the equalizer bar from front of the vehicle. I assume that the nut at the end of threaded rod must be a nylon locking nut? I reinstalled with about 7-8 washers since otherwise, it would be sitting on the crimped portion of the rod. I guess I could try to force it back through by loosening nut and activating parking brake?

I found that it took very little adjustment of the adjustment wheels at each rear brake. I moved it out about 1/8".

IMG_0585.JPG IMG_0584.JPG

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, definitely tighter now. much better. It is a weird parking break as it gets hard halfway down, then you can keep pushing it to the floor.

CdnDenali

Reaction score
this is my next maintenance/project, with having to replace 1-2-3? cable(s) from the pedal TOO BOOT... hope its not too difficult

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not as long as you have done some brake work before. You may need to remove rear caliper and disks/drums. If you do, i recommend lubricating shoes (or at least checking it is not bone dry). After i did the work, my parking brake sometimes sticks at the foot pedal. If i go in reverse, it pops. Not sure why. It may be too tight. I need to go back in their.

BTW, spoke to a mechanic who suggested using blue locktite on the caliper bolts not the yellow that FSM calls for (latter requires heat to take off bolts).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667