Our trucks VS Toyota Sequoia???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Japanese car and American Truck! I always kept a Camry in my driveway as an extra car since 2011 when we bought our first fully loaded Camry. In mid-2012 we traded the 2011 for a 2012 Camry SE because of the body style change & now we still have our 2018 Camry XLE hybrid that gets 44 mpg & 600 miles on a tank. I do have to say that the 2018 Camry is built better then the k2xx as far as leather quality and workmanship. The 2018 and up Camry really came up in the world and looks better than the ES300H. The hybrid battery comes with a 10 year 150k mile warranty. The Camry actually comes with more options than the k2xx as well. Now if Toyota made a good looking suv like Cadillac or GM with the hybrid I might consider but Toyota & Lexus trucks are flat out ugly and unmanly. The hybrid battery is nickel metal hydrate which means it has been around since the early 2000’s. The battery is great in cold weather and could be replaced in cells vs the Li-ion that has to be replaced as a whole and not good in cold weather.

IMG_6181.jpeg

IMG_6182.jpeg

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned many Suburbans, and Tahoes and a Sequoias as well. I find the NON-hybrid Sequoia to be vastly superior. That would limit you to a 2022 or earlier. Sequoia's do NOT have Forced Lighting (Daytime Running Lights that you cannot turn off). Sequoia also does not have engine stop-start technology. (Easy to permanently defeat on GM products.) You can depend on a Sequoia to go 300K miles minimum. I switched over from Sequoia to Tahoe because I did not want hybrid. If you get a hybrid vehicle plan on replacing the battery at 4 to 7 years. General Motors goes to extreme measures for maximum gas mileage. Toyota goes to extreme measures for reliability.
The hybrid batteries comes with 10 year 150k warranty btw. There are Toyotas with 600k and still using the original battery. The battery is not expensive and could be replaced in cells. Hybrid Toyotas have great batteries that last forever.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5.3 has some crazy high mileage examples out there

If I can get to 250k to 300k easy miles, that's my goal.

Toyota just seems to have an excessively long update schedule, and GM looks easier to work on based on the replies..

(My current Tahoe is being babied, one day I want to be the old guy on the block that all the kids ask if they can buy his "classic Tahoe 4x4)
You should because it is the last model with the solid rear axle which doesn’t require to be made taller and wider to fit the independent rear suspension components that hangs down 6” to the ground.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've often wondered if Toyota was considered more reliable simply because they are so slow to update - thoughts?

Seems like the easy was to keep reliability is to just keep what works, but I prefer some updates, hence my Tahoe - old Sequoia looked outdated as hell when I was looking.
100%. The tech on my wifes Lexus ES350 (same year) is old as hell. We call her ride granny panties. It has been as reliable as my burb though (zero issues).

shock

Reaction score
100%. The tech on my wifes Lexus ES350 (same year) is old as hell. We call her ride granny panties. It has been as reliable as my burb though (zero issues).
Agree. Their “slow to update” philosophy is absolutely the reason.

With the exception of my 2002 corolla (fantastic car) I quickly grew to hate every Toyota I’ve owned. Things like weird shifting patterns, uncomfortable seats, rattles in a brand new Land Cruiser, tires that won’t balance (refused tire warranty from dealer). I’m a never Toyota again person.

I somewhat recently rented a 2020 gas camry. That was perhaps the most undrivable car I’ve ever been in. And the road noise was absurd (lack of sound deadening).

I have gone back to Chevy over and over mainly because I like my dealership.

I’m lucky to be older now (higher income) so I likely won’t deal with cars that are very used, but I’m already feeling sorry for the folks that will have to buy today’s cars as older models and have to pay to maintain them. I also fear its going to lead to more cars being junked more quickly—and that’s certainly not good for the environment.

And more to original post, I test drove the last gen sequoia and found the seat’s uncomfortable and that it drove more like a minivan than a truck—which is not my personal preference.

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
The 5.3 has some crazy high mileage examples out there

If I can get to 250k to 300k easy miles, that's my goal.

Toyota just seems to have an excessively long update schedule, and GM looks easier to work on based on the replies..

(My current Tahoe is being babied, one day I want to be the old guy on the block that all the kids ask if they can buy his "classic Tahoe 4x4)
I have a 2005 Yukon XL SLT /5.3 E85/4L80E with 236K miles. I purchased it new. The transmission was replaced at 83K because the dealer showed me metallic sheen in the pan. Then at 130K the 3rd-4th pack went out, but since I had a Lifetime Service agreement with the dealer, they repaired it at no charge. I use the oil minder for changes, but never go more than 7500 miles. Other fluids are all changed by the regular service schedule. I use about 1 pint of oil between changes. I have no damage, no rust, and no incentive to buy a newer vehicle. I love my Yukon!

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at old/previous generation Sequoias on the road around me now, I remember why I went for the Tahoe

Sequoias have a wimpy, soccer mom look, just not a truck look, and definitely not my style. Looks like a stuffed toy animal if you look at it really good.

Tech is old, if you think about it, it's cool if your old Toyota doesn't look "dated" inside and out, if it's 9 years old, but not nearly as cool if your *new* Toyota looks like it's 9 years old because it's not updated.

I looked at an old Land Cruiser 10 years ago, and while it ran like a champ, was also very out dated compared to GM trucks.

(I'll take my 2017, solid rear axle, no hybrid battery crap, and run this rig forever, i think old Tahoe's will increase in value like old Broncos one day - so I'm going to be that guy who's obsessively changing my oil every 2500 miles and seeing how long a 5.3 can go)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If my girl ever gets tired of her TrailBlazer, I think I will get her a Toyota FJ Cruiser. One of my American Legion buddies bought one and I have done some work on it for him and I am liking it more and more. A long time ago, about 12 years, I owned a Toyota T100 pickup and that thing ran like a top and was easy to work on. If I was ever to get out of the GMT800 platform, I would get a Toyota of some sort. One vehicle I will not get is a Honda. Decent vehicles but just not for me.

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree on the FJ, and those things have a cult following too.

Very rugged looking trucks!

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In reading 2023 Sequoia is not well accepted by consumers and journalists alike. In fact there are more complaints about this new Sequoia from reviewers that one gets to wonder that only the power of brand carries it forward. I owned many Toyota and Lexus SUVs and they were reliable but all of them were Japanese-built. Sienna was not as reliable and certainly was not quiet (rattly, noisy at speed) just not a comfortable cruiser. My 2018 Yukon was a lemon, my 2020 Tahoe was not without a problem but both were the most comfortable highway cruisers that I ever sat in, quiet and superb seats. I have an order coming for 23 Duramax Tahoe but reading that seats are a big let down for the cross country rides. It is irrational but I keep coming to GM full size SUVs. Fingers crossed my Duramax will serve us well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076