Options for blacking out chrome trim on Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2017 Yukon XL and one of the first things we want to look at is deleting all of the chrome possible. What are the options out there that people have found? I've seen several black front grills but nothing in the way of actual trim pieces or front fog light bezels. Thinking of maybe looking at having the chrome vinyl wrapped. Anyone do this and have any luck?

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gloss black vinyl wrap has held up well for several years and 1,000s of miles...
You can certainly find a shop or go at it yourself - all depends on your budget and personal preferences. I have done a little of both.

2015 TAHOE LTZ, first day at home after purchase - my canvas to work with, so to speak:
My Truck - 3.2018 aSideB.JPG

Interior Faux Wood Trim delete - Metallic Silver vinyl wrap (DIY install) with
Interior Chrome Trim delete - matte black vinyl wrap (DIY install) with
Steering Wheel Emblem - matte black vinyl wrap (DIY install)
Tahoe Interior - Silver to Match - Copy1 - IMG_5260.jpg

Exterior chrome trim delete; includes windows, pillars, rear tailgate and other chrome pieces - gloss black vinyl wrap (wrap shop install) with
Roof rails - matte black vinyl wrap (wrap shop install & DIY install) with
Rear Tailgate emblem - black PlastiDip (8x coats, DIY install)
InkedBBFCFM - BDS Lift - FRONT LEFT SIDE VIEW Flat Rugged 1a - 10.2021 - Copy3_LI.jpg

Side View Mirrors - new OE covers, painted Chevy black to match (dealer body shop install)
Front Grill - new OE front grille RST trim, black (dealer body shop install)
Front Grill Emblem - new OE black emblem (DIY install)
Fender Flares - new OE trim flares (pained black to match by paint shop / DIY install)
InkedBBFCFM - BDS Lift - FRONT RIGHT SIDE VIEW Flat Rugged 1b - Copy2 - 10.2021_LI.jpg

Front Bumper - z71 trim front bumper has chrome lower valence and does NOT have the chrome fog bezels (dealer body shop install)
z71 Lower Valence - PlastiDip (8x coats) and then added a clear protective vinyl wrap; similar to a hood or headlight protective wrap. (DIY install)
License plate holders - NEW Black holders, front and back. New screws, painted black (DIY install)
BDS Kit - undercarriege view 2 - COPY1 - IMG_4236.jpg

I also installed the leftover clear protective vinyl on the floorboard as you enter the vehicle at all 4 doors. My front doors have "Cheverolet" in the chrome trim piece and were always getting mucked up. This has actually held up better than I thought and wasn't all that difficult to install. Prior to my new side steps, I had the chrome on my running boards deleted with black PlastiDip (DIY install). Held up okay, but only did 5x coats and the Maine winters are pretty rough. Still, held up for about a year until my daughter kept dragging her feet across the stuff as she got out of the lifted truck...

If I had more confidence, or a much larger budget, doing a custom interior vinyl wrap could be really great. Personalized and different. My metallic silver vinyl wrap install on the interior to delete the faux wood has brightened things up just enough and is enjoyable for me. I basically have gone for a black and silver theme throughout, mainly based off my Fox 2.0 front coil overs. The silver springs are very visible and noticeable. My interior was already partly silver so I just took it a step further and brought it all together. My custom Chevy logo headrests only set me back about $50 total and add a real nice touch and again, a hint of the silver.

Safe Travels!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2017 Yukon XL and one of the first things we want to look at is deleting all of the chrome possible. What are the options out there that people have found? I've seen several black front grills but nothing in the way of actual trim pieces or front fog light bezels. Thinking of maybe looking at having the chrome vinyl wrapped. Anyone do this and have any luck?
Vinyl lasts only so long depending on the climate. Replacing the pieces that were made for those blacked out or midnight editions is more enduring.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As @swathdiver said vinyl is an ok option, but only last so long before it ends up needing to be redone. I have the chrome trim on my roof rails and the chrome trim on the power side retractable steps wrapped in gloss black vinyl. I have had to re wrap one of the side steps in less than a year.

This thread here may be helpful if you're interested in pursuing a more OEM option at least for the window trim:

Post #41 has an extensive part number list. However, there may be some items on that list that are no longer available for purchase. Ebay could be an option if there are OEM part numbers you can't find at the various GM OEM online parts stores.

OP
OP
N

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to go by a local shop and get a quote for the vinyl wrap to compare with just swapping out all the pieces. Swapping the trim just seems like a PITA but obviously would last forever.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gloss black vinyl wrap has held up well for several years and 1,000s of miles...
You can certainly find a shop or go at it yourself - all depends on your budget and personal preferences. I have done a little of both.

2015 TAHOE LTZ, first day at home after purchase - my canvas to work with, so to speak:
View attachment 361626

Interior Faux Wood Trim delete - Metallic Silver vinyl wrap (DIY install) with
Interior Chrome Trim delete - matte black vinyl wrap (DIY install) with
Steering Wheel Emblem - matte black vinyl wrap (DIY install)
View attachment 361620

Exterior chrome trim delete; includes windows, pillars, rear tailgate and other chrome pieces - gloss black vinyl wrap (wrap shop install) with
Roof rails - matte black vinyl wrap (wrap shop install & DIY install) with
Rear Tailgate emblem - black PlastiDip (8x coats, DIY install)
View attachment 361628

Side View Mirrors - new OE covers, painted Chevy black to match (dealer body shop install)
Front Grill - new OE front grille RST trim, black (dealer body shop install)
Front Grill Emblem - new OE black emblem (DIY install)
Fender Flares - new OE trim flares (pained black to match by paint shop / DIY install)
View attachment 361625

Front Bumper - z71 trim front bumper has chrome lower valence and does NOT have the chrome fog bezels (dealer body shop install)
z71 Lower Valence - PlastiDip (8x coats) and then added a clear protective vinyl wrap; similar to a hood or headlight protective wrap. (DIY install)
License plate holders - NEW Black holders, front and back. New screws, painted black (DIY install)
View attachment 361622

I also installed the leftover clear protective vinyl on the floorboard as you enter the vehicle at all 4 doors. My front doors have "Cheverolet" in the chrome trim piece and were always getting mucked up. This has actually held up better than I thought and wasn't all that difficult to install. Prior to my new side steps, I had the chrome on my running boards deleted with black PlastiDip (DIY install). Held up okay, but only did 5x coats and the Maine winters are pretty rough. Still, held up for about a year until my daughter kept dragging her feet across the stuff as she got out of the lifted truck...

If I had more confidence, or a much larger budget, doing a custom interior vinyl wrap could be really great. Personalized and different. My metallic silver vinyl wrap install on the interior to delete the faux wood has brightened things up just enough and is enjoyable for me. I basically have gone for a black and silver theme throughout, mainly based off my Fox 2.0 front coil overs. The silver springs are very visible and noticeable. My interior was already partly silver so I just took it a step further and brought it all together. My custom Chevy logo headrests only set me back about $50 total and add a real nice touch and again, a hint of the silver.

Safe Travels!
Great job with your rig! Looks very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos