Ok so I've made my decision, now I need help with what to get/do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok as some of you may remember I was contemplating getting something new....a used XTerra or even a used Tahoe and spend $20k-$30k and have a loan out for the next 5 years OR spend $1300 or less and get my Tahoe back to as good as new as possible. My '96 and only has 82k miles on it and I've had it for the last 11 years/42k mi, so it still has plenty of life left. I decided to go with fixing up my beloved Tahoe. I want to have it run like new and have AC again so I've complied a list of things that I need to buy as part of replacing defective parts and/or for regular maintenance. Here's what I have so far, what else do I need or should I get?

AC delco AC compressor
AC delco dryer/accumlator
AC delco orifice tube
AC delco fuel pump
AC delco fuel pump strainer
AC delco u-joints
AC delco dist cap and rotor
AC delco spark plug wires
AC delco spark plugs
AC delco fuel filter

As far as labor, I can do all of it myself except for the AC vac and refill but I have a contact for that. I also need a water pump also but may need to get an off brand because the AC delco one is kinda pricey. I can get a Bosch one for about $50.

Last edited:

slowstang305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all it would cost you is <$1500 I would go ahead and buy the replacement parts. Its no fun living life with a 30k loan under your head.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all it would cost you is <$1500 I would go ahead and buy the replacement parts. Its no fun living life with a 30k loan under your head.

^^this....1500 or less to fix up a pretty solid Hoe is MUCH better than paying on a loan for an item going down in value every day....

OP
OP
blizz

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I know, I'm asking about what else I should do. Re-read my original post. I have decided.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go ahead and replace the belts. Also when was the last time you serviced the transmission or radiator with a fluid flush. Those things wouldn't hurt either :waytogo:

OP
OP
blizz

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radiator flush....added to list. Did the transmission a little over a year ago.

arb905

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replace the intake gaskets. Aftermarket waterpump will be fine. No need to buy AC Delco parts on anything but the Distributor cap and rotor. Save some money by looking on internet parts places (parts geek is one) or amazon or ebay.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
+10 on amazon take the ac delco part numbers there you will be surprised at the difference between them And oreily or autozone.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Belt replacement is not required unless it has physical damage. Material constructed differently the some earlier belts.

OP
OP
blizz

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've priced this stuff out on rockauto.com and am at about $550 or so minus the filter and wires. I already have those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts