Official 26" Wheel and Tire Weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fearz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the rear passenger side tire.

Could you by chance get a pic of the part of the trailing arm where it needs to be trimmed. I'm still scared to do a drop because of it. lol

I owe you man.

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! I am pretty surprised that those weigh that little. That is a pretty good rule of thumb for balancing. You don't have much option for tires in 26" and sometimes you get lucky with a lesser expensive tire. I have seen quite a few though, that may not call for much weight but still ride like crap because they are out of round from the manufacture. Not 26's just lesser expensive tires in general. You can balance an egg easily but it's not going to roll smoothly. :)

Thank for the great info modded! I wonder what the weight of a 1 piece chrome 26" would be though. I'm thinking quite a bit more.

Modded do you work in the tire industry?

OP
OP
Modded

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Wow! I am pretty surprised that those weigh that little. That is a pretty good rule of thumb for balancing. You don't have much option for tires in 26" and sometimes you get lucky with a lesser expensive tire. I have seen quite a few though, that may not call for much weight but still ride like crap because they are out of round from the manufacture. Not 26's just lesser expensive tires in general. You can balance an egg easily but it's not going to roll smoothly. :)

Thank for the great info modded! I wonder what the weight of a 1 piece chrome 26" would be though. I'm thinking quite a bit more.

Modded do you work in the tire industry?

Yeah at the 295/30/26 size, Pirelli is the only mainstream manufacturer that makes a tire in that size. The issue is the markup on them is ridiculous because it has a very soft compound that equals a better ride and real sticky traction at the expense of tread life. I have always wondered if the majority of the markup goes all the way back to the manufacturer-distributor/wholesaler transaction, or if it comes from the wholesaler-retailer transaction.
Do you know the answer to that Jimmy?
And no I am not in the tire industry just yet, but I do know excessive info when it comes to wheels/tires.

I am convinced that forged 26" wheels with tires will weigh just about the same as the stock 20" wheels/tires weigh. If they are chrome plated, then some weight will be added.
I knew the aftermarket ones could not be too heavy because when I took the stock 20s off my Tahoe I remember those biothces being just barely lighter than my current set.

Last edited:

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah at the 295/30/26 size, Pirelli is the only mainstream manufacturer that makes a tire in that size. The issue is the markup on them is ridiculous because it has a very soft compound that equals a better ride and real sticky traction at the expense of tread life. I have always wondered if the majority of the markup goes all the way back to the manufacturer-distributor/wholesaler transaction, or if it comes from the wholesaler-retailer transaction.
Do you know the answer to that Jimmy?
And no I am not in the tire industry just yet, but I do know excessive info when it comes to wheels/tires.

Modded, sorry it has taking so long to get back to ya, just been crazy around my area. And It slipped my mind a little.

The markup on these products is ridiculous just like many things in life, they are probably marked up 2-3 maybe even 4 times before it gets to the final consumer. ya know it cost $10 to make it, sell it at $15 to a wholesaler to make some money, they sell it for $20-25 to make some money, and then the final retailer sells it for $25-35 to make some money.

The worst but best place to by products from is usually places that have minimal overhead because they dont need to make alot of money to stay in business. this is why you can find internet sites selling tires for $100 per tire cheaper than tire centers all over the nation, because it is some guy who has storage units full of tires and runs the whole program himself. but at the same token you dont get $#!+ for service or warranty and if your traveling good luck on warranty. Plus some/most places will charge you more to dismount/mount and balance the brand new tires that you just brought into them. because now they have all the liability of ones wheels and vehicle and they arent making any money out of the deal.

When it comes to tires i am surprised at how cheap tire rack sells tires for, I am involved with a great company and my cost is usually only about 20-25 less than the average joe calling them in. which is why we dont use them except for special circumstances and we have our own great programs with other tire manufactures.

Wheels are crazy too, i have a good friend that works for a major distributor that can personally get me 3 piece wheels for 10% over cost about $600 a wheel in 22" but they are sold in the retail world online and in shops for $12-1400 a wheel depending on where you find them and who your working with.

The ending retail price does not get back to the manufacture in most cases either. you'll find the best prices from places that have to jump through as few of hoops as possible.

that's about all i know about markups, hopefully i answered your question bud. sorry for the rant. hahaha!

Last edited:

Fearz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kinda made me chuckle.

and on a side note, I hate when people that have large vehicle such as a Tahoe and complain about gas mileage, especially with big wheels or tires.

How about you sell me your drop so I can drive down there and you help me put it on? lol
And I can't really say anything about MPG anymore as I daily a Ram pickup now and that thing drinks gas. :(

Last edited: