OBS 4dr yukon. Gertrude, the lightly modded soccer mom truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenstein95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't get on this forum much, because it seems to be directed at the newer models. I have plenty of respect for the newer ones, and still stare when one is near by. But I'm a bit particular to the OBS. Mainly because that's what I have, and I don't have to feel bad when I beat it up a bit. A little over a year ago, I sold my car to save Christmas for my kids. Figured I could deal with getting by in a beater for awhile, since I wanted my kids to be happy. After selling my car, I couldn't find anything worth buying for a cheap enough price. Then, a coworker offered to sell me his 95 Yukon that he never used anymore. Told me he wanted $1000 for it. Being that I had never seen it, and knowing the price, I figured it had to be pretty damn rough. But hell, it was four door like I needed, and a bonus because it was a 4wd, with 8 poppers under the hood, and an even bigger bonus because I've always been a GM guy. What the hell, I'll give it a look. He drove it to work the next day, on expired tags. This is what he pulled up in. image%202_zpssz66gxio.jpg
image%201_zpsl0t6szqt.jpg
Not bad, I thought. Took it for a test drive. It ran very well, and shifted through the gears no sweat. Even the transfer case, and front diff worked without a glitch. But damn, the ride was horrible! Bouncing everywhere, and steering was all over the road. The interior had been VERY neglected, and was a complete mess. The exterior was mediocre. Small dents here and there, and covered in light scratches from going through alot of brush. He was a hunting guide, and often used it as his guide vehicle. It wasn't beat up, but it was definitely used as a truck is intended. I decided to ****** it up, because I still felt that it was a killer price. The first thing my wife said, when I got home, was how ugly it was, and that she wouldn't be riding in it. But whatever. I got it for me. And my wife and I split two months later, so her opinion wasn't ever much of a concern. My daughter is in love with it, and that's the important thing.
I replaced the pitman, and idler arms. Stuck in new sway bar end links front and rear(one front was missing, and the other was shot. Both rears had slight play. I then pulled out the stock bilstien shocks, because they had almost 200k on them, and were extremely skinny to start off. Stuffed in some Monroe large piston truck shocks. Built a front steering stabilizer. Changed the fluids in all the boxes, as well as the power steering, and brake fluid. Sealed up a few leaks(t-case, oil filter adapter housing, and left front axle seal.) Replaced pads, rotors, calipers, drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders. Refurbished the entire under carriage, so that it no longer had that orange rust colored surface. Gave the interior alot of TLC, which took alot of time, and dedication. Debadged the side moldings. Custom built a roof rack, because all of the $600 ones out of the box, seemed too pretty, and flimsy. I wanted something beefy, and rigid. Slapped under some MB 72 wheels, and some 285/75 16 nitto Terra grapplers, and did some TB cranking. Cut the cat out, and built a 3 inch exhaust from the y-pipe back, with a 14" round body Magna flow. Gave it a pretty decent volume of noise, and still sounds very clean and aggressive. Wet sanded, and clear coated all of the light housings, and tossed in some 5k HIDs. Currently building a swing away spare tire carrier, and a small light bar for the stock front bumper. Going to truck line the rockers.(yeah, I know it's overdone, but I actually use this truck in the mountains, and rocks. Plus, I hate the gold on the two tone.) Recently I installed a 12" kicker sub, that a buddy sold me with amp for $50. Threw on a new EGR valve, so the CEL would stop popping up everytime it tried to check it. Here are some more current pics.
IMAG0045_zpsrlyuurbr.jpg
IMAG0039_zpstmd7hro7.jpg
IMAG0046_zpskpccutfq.jpg
And this is from a few weeks ago, when me and some buddies were playing in the snow. I got high centered on a big ass Rick, that we didn't see. It was resting on the t-case cross member, and the frame. Fun night.
IMAG0131_zpsj4j40eui.jpg
IMAG0132_zpsnhzznbzh.jpg
IMAG0133_zpsu07d5mg8.jpg
Aftermath
IMAG0139_zpssyavcyix.jpg
IMAG0137_zpsclrnzgxh.jpg
Thanks for reading. I love my Yukon, and hope to continue making it better as time goes.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good looking Yukon. Not everybody looks at just the new ones. Loads of OBS, NBS and NNBS on here worth checking out.

OP
OP
F

Frankenstein95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good looking Yukon. Not everybody looks at just the new ones. Loads of OBS, NBS and NNBS on here worth checking out.
Yeah, I've browsed through alot of them. And like I said, I still love the NBS and NNBS body styles. I would love to have one, especially because I love the ls motors. I just wouldn't feel comfortable beating one up. Not that I beat mine up, but I've been known to get a little rough with it at times. Ha ha. Thanks for the compliment by the way.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries. I drive a 2015 Suburban around for work. The power and large cargo space are great, but I really love my NBS. I don't drive it as much as I would like to, but it keeps the miles low and she will only she pavement. Plus no payments makes a big difference.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the old. And look at what you did to it. It's great and very usable for you. X2 on what Fosscore said.

GM iraqi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice ride not only because it looks same as mine but it's clean mean machine its keeper GM were very proud when the make this car
Best wishes friend

IMG-20160218-WA0006.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts