OBD II scanner fried control module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skizzot

Reaction score
On 5/18 the check engine light came on and I had O'Reilly pull the code. It showed only P0442 for a small EVAP leak. I had recently changed the fuel pump and had problems connecting the EVAP line that ran over the frame with only 1" of clearance in the rear.

On 5/19, I made a better connection on that line and took it to Discount Auto Parts (Store #7362) in order to have the code cleared. An employee connected an Actron OBD II scanner and I was busy responding to a text message. After a couple minutes, I stepped up to the truck and heard relays clicking in the dash. He pressed a button on the scanner after it said there was a link error. The relays in the dash started clicking again and I noticed every dash light (ABS, Airbag, Traction Control, etc.) was flashing on and off. I said to remove it and he indicated he didn't know what the problem was.

I started the truck and left the store. When I put it in reverse, it slammed into gear as well as when I put it into drive. It also quickly shifted into every gear with force and I pulled into a nearby parking lot, turned the truck off, and turned it back on. Everything was back to normal with normal shifting.

I called Actron tech support from that parking lot and was told that the only thing that would cause a car to go haywire like that is a bad scanner cable or device. Actron further said it would not be a vehicle issue whereas the scanner will simply not connect. There was a connection made whereas it was shorting out everything in the truck during the time it was connected.

Today, I took the truck to a different Discount Auto Parts' store and their Actron scanner connected within a split second. As he went to clear the P0442 error, he noticed code "U0073 Control Module communication bus A off INTERMITTENT" He didn't want to clear the code due the other store being liable and contacted them for me. We were told to call back Friday when the general manager would be back to see what needed to be done as far as them paying for diagnostics by GM.

Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elfro