O2 Sensors Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Say I go and get all new sensors and the code is still there would hollowing out the cats or removing them completely get rid of the cel light? Just wondering because i’ve seen the price of new cats and trying to not spend a lot, as I have a new vehicle. I live in a no emmisons testing state also.
You can do what you want but replacing all 4 sensors may not fix. that is just throwing parts at it. If you want to be sure, it needs to be diagnosed. I would drive around for a bit and see if only the P0430 code stays and nothing else pops up. then you can tackle the one code/ I did not look and am not gonna scroll back. Does it drive fine? Just the CEL only?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say I go and get all new sensors and the code is still there would hollowing out the cats or removing them completely get rid of the cel light? Just wondering because i’ve seen the price of new cats and trying to not spend a lot, as I have a new vehicle. I live in a no emmisons testing state also.
Hollowing out the cats will guarantee that the light stays on! There is a modification you can do to trick the sensors into believing the cats are working though. Search the forum for that.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say I go and get all new sensors and the code is still there would hollowing out the cats or removing them completely get rid of the cel light?
No, this would create a different Check Engine light for catalytic converter failure.
Just wondering because I’ve seen the price of new cats and trying to not spend a lot, as I have a new vehicle.
I live in a no emissions testing state also.
IFF you live in a state where you can pass 'emissions' inspections with a Check Engine light on - in NYC, no Check Engine light and all monitors ready = PASS with flying colors - then hollow out the cats and live with a permanent Check Engine light that won't let you know if anything else goes wrong.

Read OR VietVet's signature, then think about this:
Another vehicle is likely more expensive than properly maintaining this one.

OP
OP
T

Timee

Reaction score
You can do what you want but replacing all 4 sensors may not fix. that is just throwing parts at it. If you want to be sure, it needs to be diagnosed. I would drive around for a bit and see if only the P0430 code stays and nothing else pops up. then you can tackle the one code/ I did not look and am not gonna scroll back. Does it drive fine? Just the CEL only?

Drives really good I feel no power loss or anything. And it’s just the cel.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drives really good I feel no power loss or anything. And it’s just the cel.
even if the 02 sensors were replaced on time with a previous owner it is close to time to do them again anyway, gm rates them for 100k miles, if they were never changed then ya they are way overdue.
you can change them yourself without too much trouble they can be difficult to sometimes get loose and can be difficult to reach with a tool, so you may need to try different combinations of adapters and you will want a 02 sensor socket, the socket has a notch in it to allow for the wire connector to not get destroyed.
you need 2 of each front and rear, 4 total which side they go on doesn't matter, the front and rear connectors are different so not hard to figure out.
if they come out easy you can change them all in 30 minutes

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if my mechanic told me it needs o2 sensors but he doesn't do exhaust work. that would make me question everything.

exhaust work is cutting, welding repairing exhaust. sensors just screw into the exhaust pipe, I've never heard a mechanic say they wouldn't do o2 sensors. they usually throw those at everything. since technically they are a wear item.

I'd basically do a tune up if you haven't in a while, new plugs wires and o2 sensors. if you have issues from there you have a good base. that's not really throwing parts at it in my book since most people haven't changed any of that before and it's time anyways.

if you have access to an android phone. I believe torque app isn't iPhone, but they have others I'd guess, but this is a good cheap obd2 reader and 5$ torque app you'll be able to do some useful troubleshooting.

for Android Phones ONLY - Wireless Bluetooth Diagnostic OBD2 Scanner Car Code Reader and Scan Tool for All 1996 & Newer Vehicles ELM327 Compatible OBDII https://a.co/d/9e6Qjy5

Chris Mosher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like she needs a good 100mph clean out for a few miles. If the cat was bad I would think you’d notice a performance issue and/or smell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo