Not sure what this is

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 08 yukon xl aside from giving me the electrical gremlins has been a great truck. But recently I had to replace the abs control module and now about every 3rd start i will get 33 audible dings in a row. now I have not had it programmed as of yet because of this whole virus thing and everything being closed and what not. but they assure me driving it without it being programmed wont harm anything it will just be disabled. But could these dings be related? I am assuming they are as it never did it until after i installed new abs module.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would assume, probably shouldn't but, the "they" you referred to is a tech or service writer at the dealer or shop telling you no harm will come by driving, should also be able to tell you what the 33 ding noises are. If you belonged to ALLDATAdiy.com you could get all info for your rig for a year for less than $30 and then have access to all info that shops do for your vehicle.

Have you also looked in the owners manual about this?

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume, probably shouldn't but, the "they" you referred to is a tech or service writer at the dealer or shop telling you no harm will come by driving, should also be able to tell you what the 33 ding noises are. If you belonged to ALLDATAdiy.com you could get all info for your rig for a year for less than $30 and then have access to all info that shops do for your vehicle.

Have you also looked in the owners manual about this?
Ok so now we are pushing subscriptions to the all data thing now? Ok that's cool, I just thought someone might help because that is what forums use to be about .. thanks for the info though

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am mentioning All Data because I signed up and am glad I did. Many members here have done the same and mention that info source on a regular basis. Much of what you get here is not as technical as that subscription can give out. The forum is a great place for info but unless a member has experienced the EXACT same problem and knows EXACTLY what they did to find and fix it, then because none of us are right at your vehicle, best we can do is suggest what next step to take and go from there. If I can find the answer to a concern by pulling up All Data I will not bother the forum with it unless I feel like the problem and results of the repair search can be of help to others. I recommended to you my best attempt to help. I don't push owner's manuals either but it is a good source for some of a member's questions. Go do what you want to do.

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am mentioning All Data because I signed up and am glad I did. Many members here have done the same and mention that info source on a regular basis. Much of what you get here is not as technical as that subscription can give out. The forum is a great place for info but unless a member has experienced the EXACT same problem and knows EXACTLY what they did to find and fix it, then because none of us are right at your vehicle, best we can do is suggest what next step to take and go from there. If I can find the answer to a concern by pulling up All Data I will not bother the forum with it unless I feel like the problem and results of the repair search can be of help to others. I recommended to you my best attempt to help. I don't push owner's manuals either but it is a good source for some of a member's questions. Go do what you want to do.
I wasn't being pissy, I go to sources where people have dealt with issues before and can say instead of wasting your time with a bunch of dead ends. This is what worked for me and try it... That's all. I looked into all data and reading up on it I didn't see the benefit of it. But I will look again

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abs module shouldn't need programming, if it was replaced with the right module. not even sure if you can use one that is not identical to the old one

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I wasn't being pissy, I go to sources where people have dealt with issues before and can say instead of wasting your time with a bunch of dead ends. This is what worked for me and try it... That's all. I looked into all data and reading up on it I didn't see the benefit of it. But I will look again

Where in my post am I accusing someone of being pissy? I responded with succinct info backing up what I had originally posted and why. I make the statement, "Do what you want to do" many times in posts. Especially when someone says, "Ok so now we are pushing subscriptions to the all data thing now?" I was recommending All Data, not pushing a subscription. I will be sure to pick my words, on future posts, more carefully in the future but I guarantee you that having ran shops for 35+ years I used All Data and Mitchell on Demand to great success many many many times and when I saw the chance to again have all that info at my fingertips for a year, I jumped in with both feet. Have a great day and hope you find out what the problem is.

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
abs module shouldn't need programming, if it was replaced with the right module. not even sure if you can use one that is not identical to the old one
It was identical to one I removed. Dealer said it needs reprogrammed to vehicle. I'm going of what my buddy said who is a tech at a shop...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was identical to one I removed. Dealer said it needs reprogrammed to vehicle. I'm going of what my buddy said who is a tech at a shop...
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure it does not require programming, the part number has to be a 100% match to your old abs module, not just look the same. unless something changed from nbs to nnbs, I swapped 3 on my nbs and never had to be programmed.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the ABS unit but I'd take apart the old one, see if there's a plug in control module or circuit board that could be put in the replacement. The vehicle might recognize it and good to go - and stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willabea