Noob question about Denali for sale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
There is one ex police Tahoe for sale, but it sounds like it would be too much work to convert it back to a more family standard (replace carpet, hook up rear doors again, etc). But I love the dash on it.

I'd stay away from ex-police vehicles. They drive the hell out of their cars.

OP
OP
J

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems a bit cheap to be honest. it looks like a clean truck from the pictures so id really dig through it and make sure nothings "patched" up.

So we had a chance to look at it today, but didn't get to drive it.

Here's what we found:

- Has 20" aftermarket wheels/tires, will need tires soon.
- A few scratches / chips on front
- Rear lock actuator broken (buzzes, but doesn't work)
- Driver's door lock button doesn't work. Passenger's does
- Nav screen is broken, and radio buttons worn (seems to be common)
- Console paint is badly chipped
- Rear HVAC controls didn't seem to work. But then I might not know how to work it either.
- Neither power seats worked. Might be fuse, or wiring? Didn't have time to look.
- Had 124k miles, started fine, sounded like a little lifter rattle when cold, but no funny noises otherwise.

So I need to price out tires, a Nav screen, and the door lock issues at the minimum. The cosmetics I can live with, and I would test drive it and check the fuses for the seats at a minimum. But it might just be more work that I want to deal with right now, even for $9k.

Thoughts on any of those issues?

We also drove an '03 Tahoe LT and it was nice, but no 3rd row or sunroof. But we can definitely see ourselves driving one, it didn't feel that much bigger than our BMW at least around town.

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those to me are all signs of a well worn, somewhat not taken care of vehicle. procede with caution and drive it a good bit before you make your decision. driving it willl tell you a lot. in fact, you may want to find a really low miles 06 denali to drive to get a feel of what a nice one is like so you can compare.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

I'd stay away from ex-police vehicles. They drive the hell out of their cars.

+1 my cousin is a police officer, when i went on ride alongs with him in pool vehicles (yours was a pool vehicle fyi) they were truly driven like they stole them. as long as it wasnt folded up into little pieces when they returned them, nobody cared.

OP
OP
J

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the police vehicle is off the list, it's a ragged out, barely running '99. Pass. I think it all goes back to the Blues Brothers... don't we all want an ex-cop car?

I agree the Denali was rode hard and put away wet. The story is a bit fishy too. Something about the dealer's boss going off to Morrocco and not really wanting to sell it, yada yada yada. I priced out tires and a Nav screen, $600 and $500. And that's not even dealing with the other issues.

I really don't think we need the 6.0L so I think I'll focus on a nice clean '03 or '04 Tahoe / Yukon, hopefully an LT.

Thanks guys!

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out the Denali; yes I am biased cause I have one :)
The 5.3 is a great motor, but even though you are towing a small trailer, if you are getting a truck to tow, I would still go with the 6.0. The Denali also has a slightly upgraded transmission, I think it is the same size as the 5.3, with a slightly beefier build. Also the Denali has the transmission temp gauge- just like the engine temp; I want to know when it is hot BEFORE I burn it up.
Whatever you go with, watch out for the Autoride or whatever the air shocks are called, the Denali's and some of the other Tahoe/Yukons have them. They are great for towing, I love mine. BUT, before you buy make sure the compressor isn't running a lot, when you start the truck you will hear it turn on maybe 5-10 seconds. If the bags in the shocks are bad or the system has leaks the compressor will run often and eventually burn itself up. The dealers want well over $1k to replace the system, but Arnott sells a lot cheaper if you are a DIY, but it's still pricey and VERY common on these trucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out the Denali; yes I am biased cause I have one :)
The 5.3 is a great motor, but even though you are towing a small trailer, if you are getting a truck to tow, I would still go with the 6.0. The Denali also has a slightly upgraded transmission, I think it is the same size as the 5.3, with a slightly beefier build. Also the Denali has the transmission temp gauge- just like the engine temp; I want to know when it is hot BEFORE I burn it up.
Whatever you go with, watch out for the Autoride or whatever the air shocks are called, the Denali's and some of the other Tahoe/Yukons have them. They are great for towing, I love mine. BUT, before you buy make sure the compressor isn't running a lot, when you start the truck you will hear it turn on maybe 5-10 seconds. If the bags in the shocks are bad or the system has leaks the compressor will run often and eventually burn itself up. The dealers want well over $1k to replace the system, but Arnott sells a lot cheaper if you are a DIY, but it's still pricey and VERY common on these trucks.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea on the trans temp sensor. There's another '03 Denali for sale locally for about $11k, I could probably get them down to $10. Green on tan. It has about 130k miles on it, which is a little more than I'd like, but for an '03 I'd consider it.

Is there a code for the air ride suspension? I've seen a few listed where it lists it on the LT badge. A friend recommended against it, and said that if it has a 3rd row and towing packages, it will have a self leveling rear. But I have no idea how to check.

Thanks for the continued advice!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I had no idea on the trans temp sensor. There's another '03 Denali for sale locally for about $11k, I could probably get them down to $10. Green on tan. It has about 130k miles on it, which is a little more than I'd like, but for an '03 I'd consider it.

Is there a code for the air ride suspension? I've seen a few listed where it lists it on the LT badge. A friend recommended against it, and said that if it has a 3rd row and towing packages, it will have a self leveling rear. But I have no idea how to check.

Thanks for the continued advice!

Just look at the top of the rear shocks, and if it has an air hose coming from the top back of it, then it has air shocks!! Also, there will be a compressor box just behind the rear drivers side tire! Like mentioned, the compressor will kick on every time you start up the truck, a few seconds after it's running and should only run without weight on the back of the truck for no more than 10 seconds, if it runs much more than that and if it runs a bunch of times while the truck is on without weight in the truck, then the shocks are more than likely in bad shape!

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Also, where's the 11k denali you are talking about? Please please stay far far away from buying anything off of 82nd!! lol

OP
OP
J

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tahoe we looked at was on 82nd, they had a bunch on one lot which made comparing easier. But when they quoted me $1k over KBB I almost laughed, and had to chuckle again when he told me "we'll make the numbers work, don't worry about the price.". Right, I'm paying cash, the price is all I'm worried about. Idiots.

Here's the other one that's popped up:

http://bickmoreauto.com/details-200...ility!!!!MILWAUKIE+LOCATION+!!!-MTMyMg==.html

It's green, not my favorite color, and higher miles than I want. But might be worth a look. I'll pay attention to the air suspension.

I prefer to buy from an owner, so I can get better history. Owners don't seem to be pricing much below dealers, or have a note to pay off. Not helping any.

coolchuck

maybe Escalade bound?
Reaction score
That green looks ok in the pictures, def worth taking a look at. I've seen newer ones in worse condition.

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey jewel, im guessing you are searching pretty close to where you live. i started looking further out from the city and found a lot nicer trucks in more rural areas. may not be the same for you but i definitely had better luck outside of the city. ymmv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076