No sound from Factory DVD player 04 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tmoney10

Reaction score
04 suburban z71

Have a aftermarket head unit double din. Works fine with a aftermarket sub .

I have the factory roof mounted DVD player.
The DVD player works fine and shows video etc.

I can get any sound from brand new wireless headphones as well and plugging in the wired headphones connection.

Any idea what it could be or what I should be looking for?
My kids would love to watch some movies on a long road trip

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible your headphones are not compatible with the system. If I recall correctly, the originals were some sort of IR system. That said, it sounds like you either need an adaptor harness, or a different adaptor harness than you have for your aftermarket stereo to play sound through the DVD player/have the DVD player play sound through the stereo. It is also possible the DVD player is screwy after all these years, but I think it is the least likely of the possibilities you face.

OP
OP
Tmoney10

Tmoney10

Reaction score
Maybe I'll try and grab some oem ones in eBay...
I just got a pair of Amazon nothing special..

Ya not sure how the aftermarket head unit would work with the factory DVD player

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya not sure how the aftermarket head unit would work with the factory DVD player
I have read there are adapter harnesses to retain the functionality, but have not used them myself; I've got an aftermarket, single DIN Pioneer that came with my 2500. It retained none of the Suburban's related features: no bells, no steering wheel controls, no rear passenger controls, and no DVD sound. We haven't tried the headphones, as our kids were almost fully grown by the time we got the Suburban.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork