Next Project Coming Soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This summer I am going to be grabbing my families 96 4 door 2WD tahoe. *** still runs great, has a few electronics hicups, 189K on original motor.

This will become my "family" car, since it will be the only 4door in the garage. Planning on lowering it 2-3", putting some 20's on it, cleaning up the lighting, interior, paint, etc.

I want this to be a fun family car though, and was looking for some engine input. Im looking to make it a daily driver with some umph. Leaning towards a crate engine. I know my hands are tied when it comes to the Vortec engine with performance upgrades, but just wanted to start getting some thoughts and ideas on what I can play with.

I have only ever really played with carbed engines with blowers *** turbos and such. Fuel injection is not my forte.

MyLowHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you're thinking crate then I'd go for the 383 replacement. you'll get tons more torque.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
383 works...if you got the cash. GM makes some great crate motors. Check summit for some decent prices or do a search for crate motors and there are a ton.

My 383 uses the stock fuel injection and makes a ton of torque. I have a dyno sheet posted in the performance section, have a look it may help you make your choice