New to me 2002 Yukon XL with Z55 Suspension Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tatonka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2002 Yukon XL Denali. One of the previous owners thought the best way to lower the suspension in order to help an elderly person get in and out of the truck was to deflate the autoride by pulling the **** fuse and remove the coil springs in the rear. When I purchased the truck I was given the rear coil springs.

I am planning on putting the coil springs back under the rear and changing the autoride over to a passive suspension since the main purpose for the truck is to drive to and from work and I don't tow anything with it.

My question is with the front having torsion bars am I looking at having to replace anything besides the shocks in the front to be able to get the front end back up to the correct ride height?

I have never had a vehicle with torsion bars.

Thanks for any advice...
View attachment 233010
Chris image0 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks on this Forum will be able to assist you with your questions. Unfortunately, this is not an area of personal knowledge or expertise for me.

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just deleted the Autoride Z55 option on my 04 Burb. I went with the Arnott kit which included struts for all 4 corners and new springs (Z71) for the rear. The compressor was long gone on my truck and the ride was very floaty as a result. I couldn't be happier with the new setup but if everything still works on yours you could save yourself a bit of money and just put it back to original. Look around but I think I found the best price on Rock Auto.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2002 Yukon XL Denali. One of the previous owners thought the best way to lower the suspension in order to help an elderly person get in and out of the truck was to deflate the autoride by pulling the **** fuse and remove the coil springs in the rear. When I purchased the truck I was given the rear coil springs.

I am planning on putting the coil springs back under the rear and changing the autoride over to a passive suspension since the main purpose for the truck is to drive to and from work and I don't tow anything with it.

My question is with the front having torsion bars am I looking at having to replace anything besides the shocks in the front to be able to get the front end back up to the correct ride height?

I have never had a vehicle with torsion bars.

Thanks for any advice...
View attachment 233010
Chris View attachment 233011

The front will depend on if they changed the keys or not. Take a look under there at the adjustment bolts. Chances are that they just decranked them and you can put them right back up as long as you have enough bolt.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front will depend on if they changed the keys or not. Take a look under there at the adjustment bolts. Chances are that they just decranked them and you can put them right back up as long as you have enough bolt.
Yep. The factory setup you can drop the fenderwells right on top of the tires by decranking the torsion bar adjustment bolts. You can also level out and raise the ride height also by tightening the adjustment bolts. You will find these adjustment bolts about the middle length of the chassis or just follow the torsion bars all the way back to its end at the rear of them and you will see a bolt pointing down to the ground and it will have a jam nut on it also. One bolt for each of the two torsion bars. It is easier to raise the front end off the ground then make your adjustment then lower front end to ground. Trial and error until you get it where you want. I use middle of fenderwell (front to back) lower lip above tire measured to the ground each side. (do this on a flat level driveway or parking lot). Make sure tires all have correct air pressure in them before you do adjustments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01