New tire purchase issues and questions at Costco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock rims on my '09 LTZ had the bad corrosion on those sprayed on chrome rims. Costco pointed that out on the first set of tires I bought there. I bought my truck used with 150k miles. They tried some quick cleanup of the rims but it didn't hold air. I took it back something like 3 times and they finally slapped on some adhesive that fixed 3 of the rims and slowed the leak to manageable on the 4th.

The wheels always came back with a huge stack of weights because they didn't balance well.

My last time there recently they pointed out some odd wear on one tire. My truck had been feeling oddly darty on the highway for a little while. I had jacked up the front end and tried to feel any play before that visit but couldn't find any. Based on Costco's finding I replaced my left front hubs (with an ACDelco unit from Rock Auto) and the dartiness is gone. Thanks Costco!

Since then I bought a set of new Replica Wheels snowflakes in my stock size and had Wal-Mart swap the tires over for me. To Wal-Mart's credit they found an untracked center cap to give me for the wheels I took off. I need to decide what to do with those.

It's riding smooth now.

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not “paint” or “adhesive” it’s lubricant to make it easier to get the tire on the rim. It’s water soluble and slicker than baby snot. Should wash right off…

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not “paint” or “adhesive” it’s lubricant to make it easier to get the tire on the rim. It’s water soluble and slicker than baby snot. Should wash right off…
Nope. This is actual adhesive to seal corroded wheels. It definitely doesn't wash right off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65