New stock exhaust manifolds or headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AC95

Reaction score
I have exhaust leaks coming from my exhaust manifold gaskets, and am wondering if new stock manifolds or some short/long tube headers would be a better decision.

With the headers im taking into account the idea of the fuel trims being changed (O2 sensor) because of higher flow from the header.

And probably will in the future want headers…..

Does anyone know about the tuning that would need to be done to prevent engine running weird after headers?

I like the challenge

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt you will need new manifolds..

The bigger question, are all your exhaust manifold bolts still present? These engines love to break them, and its usually the rear ones.. You know, the hardest ones to get to.. That break. And its a 50/50 shot if the bolt broke flush with the head, or if theres something still sticking out to grab ahold of.

Get that looked at first, and then make the decision. If the bolt broke flush with the head, its quite the exercise to get the old bolt out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would stick with OE design. If you keep the old ones, IMO, get them surfaced like @swathdiver stated. I do that even if I don't think I have a problem with one being warped, because they are all slightly warped. A brake rotor is always warped a little after normal usage, even if you do not feel the warp/pulsation when braking. Use the Mahle steel gaskets and new ARP manifold bolts like @Geotrash said.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This helps. I hear a ticking at times and now I think its a leak. So you rather just use manifold than actual headers? I wasnt going to do a tune so might as well just keep manifold?

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you don't even need to replace your existing manifolds unless they're cracked. If I were you I'd get a new set of Mahle steel gaskets and a set of ARP manifold bolts and call it a day.
Can you provide model #'s of Mahle gasket and ARP bolts? I see different options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt