New steering rack in my future

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last week I noticed a few drips of power steering fluid hanging from the drivers side bellows that cover the inner tie rod. I wiped them away hoping they wouldn't come back, but they did. At this point it's not leaking enough to drop the power steering fluid level significantly, but that time won't be far off. I'm certain that the leak is coming from the rack and not above it as I went over the area with a fine toothed comb in the form of an inspection mirror. And, with 223K on the clock, it's probably time.

A new rack is prohibitively expensive for an aging rig, with a reman unit running about half price. Fel-Pro sells a rebuild kit for less than $50. Have any of you rebuilt one of these racks on the bench with success? I would of course install new inner and outer tie rods, and bellows as well.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never rebuilt one, but I have replaced them in the past due to the same issue, a used one usually runs about $150
relatively easy to do just need a alignment afterwards. you could maybe try some stop leak in it in the interim just to see.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never rebuilt one, but I have replaced them in the past due to the same issue, a used one usually runs about $150
relatively easy to do just need a alignment afterwards. you could maybe try some stop leak in it in the interim just to see.
Thanks Wes. I always fear the possibility of long term problems from using stop leak, but that thought did cross my mind as well. Yeah easy job to R&R, just trying to save a few bucks if I can reseal the thing easily enough. $200 savings on steering rack = more money for good whisky and cigars.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wes. I always fear the possibility of long term problems from using stop leak, but that thought did cross my mind as well. Yeah easy job to R&R, just trying to save a few bucks if I can reseal the thing easily enough. $200 savings on steering rack = more money for good whisky and cigars.
maybe poke around youtube and see if it takes any special tools or a press or something, I see remaned on rockauto for like $300 or so

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe poke around youtube and see if it takes any special tools or a press or something, I see remaned on rockauto for like $300 or so
Yeah, been doing that and came up short. Found a few things on other makes/models like the MR2, but nothing on the GMT900 trucks. Yet, they sell rebuild kits all over the place so I'd think it should be possible.

Since I can live without the truck being on the road for a couple of weeks, maybe I'll pull out the rack and put it on the workbench to see what's doable. I have a new set of mount bushings on the shelf that I can install as well if I can reseal the original rack.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would imagine most rack n pinion are very similar in construction, just like brake calipers and and various other things

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, been doing that and came up short. Found a few things on other makes/models like the MR2, but nothing on the GMT900 trucks. Yet, they sell rebuild kits all over the place so I'd think it should be possible.

Since I can live without the truck being on the road for a couple of weeks, maybe I'll pull out the rack and put it on the workbench to see what's doable. I have a new set of mount bushings on the shelf that I can install as well if I can reseal the original rack.
Very interested in your results. I'd much prefer the rebuild at home method when the time comes

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interested in your results. I'd much prefer the rebuild at home method when the time comes
I ended up having an overhauled rack shipped from RockAuto and will swap it out it over the weekend. I'll get a good look at the rack when I pull it out and see how easy it might be to reseal it. I'll let you know what I learn.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up having an overhauled rack shipped from RockAuto and will swap it out it over the weekend. I'll get a good look at the rack when I pull it out and see how easy it might be to reseal it. I'll let you know what I learn.
When the time comes, I'll probably do the same. Avalanche is at 215k now so its only a matter of time. It would be nice to rebuild though. I just bought new inner and outer tie rods for it (GM).

Now that I think about it, something was replaced on it under warranty at 99k miles. It was something to do with the rack. My dad told them to give that truck a once over and replace anything they could under warranty and he would order a new avalanche from them. His son was buying the old avalanche (me) and he wanted to make sure it was good. They did both hubs and something with the rack, and whatever the "fix" was for the dod. I'll have to dig the paper work out.

I'm still interested in your findings though. Casey's yukon is getting up there in the miles also, so one of will be needing the info lol.