New Sierra AT4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats a 7600 lb gvwr camper, not light
Yeah - it's right at the limit for one of these rigs. That's why I spent so much time and money getting the cooling system, engine and transmission beefed up and dialed in.

The new Sierras have a higher towing capacity than our rigs though (11,800 lbs), thanks to the 10-speed transmission and other updates. And that 6.2 will pull the frame out from under the camper if you gun it from a stoplight, lol.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful Bill!! Happy for you! :)
Thanks bud.

We took it up today on some forest service roads we use to get to some of our favorite hikes. The washboards and big chuck holes are way different in this rig than the Yukon. Much smoother, takes them like they weren't there. I had to keep reminding myself to slow down. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a set of the AMP Research electric retracting steps today. They are breathtakingly expensive, but they seem so slick I couldn't resist. The best price I found was on Amazon $1401, significantly less than any other place I looked.

I finally get to use the ODB Y cable I bought a while back when screwing around with the Range device and the monitor resets. I will plug the Y cable into the ODB port, plug the AMP wires into one side of the Y cable connector and mount the other side back where the original ODB port was installed. That way the stock ODB location will be there for emissions and service, the AMP step control line will be hidden to the naked eye under the lower dash panel, next to the ODB port.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the AMP Research power steps installed and working. The biggest part of the job is getting the harness routed down both wheel well liners (away from any exhaust runs). After dicking around for like 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get the floppy cable harness to slide down the route I wanted (literally pushing on a string), I figured a fishing tape might do the trick. Took me more time to find my fishing spool than it did to get the harnesses routed after that. I just fed the tape up from the bottom assuring the harness would come out the route I wanted and then taped the harness end onto the tape end. I then just pulled the harness run down each side.

I am still fooling with mounting the control box. Right now I have it velcro'ed to the top of the battery box.

I was hoping the steps would tuck up a little bit more underneath, but I guess on this model year, there is a little bigger gap than previous models (ones I saw on YouTube, etc.). I am still pleased with the outcome.

The Y cable I bought for my ODB port a while back when I was fooling with the Range device on the Yukon came in handy. I have to still fab a bracket that the Y cable connector can snap into so the open port is mounted same as stock (the OE connector has the mount moulded into the connector, the Y connector end snaps into a square hole, so a flat piece of stock with a couple of mounting holes and a square hole for the Y connector end should work fine and look factory.

Any,way here is what they look like installed.

IMG_0794.JPG
IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts