New here with my dream tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. What kind of mods would y'all suggest at first for 500

I'd actually start with any type of performance mods & or exhaust system I had planned for it before I started on tires and such.
the truck is a modern day classic IMO and being a 2 door it will turn heads as it is in its current condition.

that's just my opinion.

disclaimer:
my opinion is worth slightly less that what you paid for it.

-Sent from a bag phone via Tapatalk

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
Turkeyhunter- Where abouts are you located. A friend of mine owns a bunch of land in west Kansas we hunt turkey on. If you're out that way I'll be there in mid May.

Also, if you plan on getting rid of those wheels, and we're kinda close, I want first dibs. My '96 I just bought came with aluminum Eagle alloys I'm not super fond of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
good looking ride man. i think my first 500 would go to a good tune up! then check all the brake parts. all the upgrandes in the world wont help if you have any running or stopping problems!

CSX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sweet ride, that's the color I was looking for on the hunt for my own 2 door Tahoe...but alas, the pewter one I came across was just too clean to pass up.

Since I don't think anyone else brought it up, a few things you'll want to consider (apply to the OBS/5.7 in general)

1) Consider replacing the intake manifold gaskets. They have a nasty propensity for leaking. It's a matter of when, not if.

2) If you have a super loud (whiny) fuel pump, you're likely still on the original, and in my experience, GM fuel pumps aren't good for more than 150k miles max (on a good day). Also consider swapping that out for a newer, revised Delphi/ACDelco unit.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch it other than tune up stuff. The intake gaskets are a must. 285s would be nice on it. I just have a thing for the stock look. Go ahead and replace the good for nothing heater hose quick connect adapter on the passenger side on the intake. Dorman makes one that is just a nipple and uses a standard hose clamp. For 25 bucks, i got it, 6' each of 3/4 and 5/8 heater hose, some clamps, and the HVAC valve to replace it all and eliminate a common problem. Damn good looking truck though, always love the 2drs and getting really hard to find nice ones these days.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice truck and welcome to the club. I'd start with a tune up and some bolt on go fast goodies. Intake and exhaust. Get the air in and out.

OP
OP
T

turkeyhunter29

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sgtpoliteness, thanks for the invite. I'm actually in South Carolina but have hunted in south east Kansas. I'll let you know about the wheels.

Csx thanks for the info. I think the gaskets may already be leaking a little.

Thanks to all for the info and I do plan on keeping it pretty stock. I may need help in the future.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if they are leaking, especially into the oil, get on it now or you'll be replacing an engine.

OP
OP
T

turkeyhunter29

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How do I truly tell if intake manifold gaskets are leaking

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well they can leak three places. Out of the engine, in which you'll likely see puddles of whatever color antifreeze is in there(orange - original Dexcool, or standard green) depending on the size of the leak. It can leak into the lifter valley, in which it mixes with the oil and forms a chocolate milk sludge that you'll see when you change the oil (again providing it's leaking enough). And it can leak into the intake runner with your fuel and air and be burned in which you may smell a sweet exhaust and see white smoke or water vapor in your exhaust. Sometimes it is not that obvious but you will know something is up if you can never keep the reservoir filled. Mine was not obvious until my catalytic converters(they had 160K on them and the burning coolant was a death knell) went out and I was seeing what I felt was more than normal water vapor in the exhaust.

However, if you plan on keeping the truck, you might as well go ahead and do it instead of tempting fate. While you are in there is a good time to replace the poppet injector with the new style MPFI injection. I have a list somewhere of all the part numbers I used. It cost me about 500 in parts when I did it (lower intake gaskets and MPFI system). If you are good at working on things its a challenge but very doable. There is a wealth of information and youtube videos on it as it is a very common problem. I watched all the ones I could find several times and formed a plan of attack. Took me about 12 hrs to do it as I was pretty methodical about keeping things organized and cleaning alot of the parts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas