Need your break-in skills 2003 Chevy 4x4 Sierra.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kgitti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This truck has been abandoned on my property for a year and a half since the owner died. The owner worked for me and lived on my property for like decades-a good friend.
It’s time to do something with it. We have no keys and no title. Right now we just want to get into it but it’s locked up tight and the battery is dead, dead, dead.
So I jacked open the top right drivers side door and made a tool where I could reach in and move the door lock to the unlocked position. It made no difference. Perhaps it is electric?
Where do I go from here? I can’t get the hood up to charge the battery.
IMG_0133.jpeg

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call a locksmith and start there. A new battery won't do diddly unless uou have a key. If you have a title/proof of ownership, or a good friend at a dealership, you can get new keys cut for it. If it's not rusted out, full of rodents, etc, then maybe it's worth working on. If it's any of the above, then maybe it's worth pulling it on a trailer for scrap and saving yourself the future headache.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jamming the door cracked open like that puts a lot of stress on the latch. Have you tried a stout wire with a loop to see if you can pull the inside door pull while it's cracked open at the top of the door?

OP
OP
Kgitti

Kgitti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Call a locksmith and start there. A new battery won't do diddly unless uou have a key. If you have a title/proof of ownership, or a good friend at a dealership, you can get new keys cut for it. If it's not rusted out, full of rodents, etc, then maybe it's worth working on. If it's any of the above, then maybe it's worth pulling it on a trailer for scrap and saving yourself the future headache.
As I said we have no title-no nothing. We have no friends at dealerships etc. No one will cut us a key. We have to go thru the state abandoned vehicle tribulation.
So I’m guessing a slim Jim is the next trick.

OP
OP
Kgitti

Kgitti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jamming the door cracked open like that puts a lot of stress on the latch. Have you tried a stout wire with a loop to see if you can pull the inside door pull while it's cracked open at the top of the door?
No.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help or if it's the same mechanism as yours (it's the same as mine on my '04 Tahoe), but it may show you where the rods are for your slim jim.

Last ditch you could break the glass. There are plenty in the junk yards.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This truck has been abandoned on my property for a year and a half since the owner died. The owner worked for me and lived on my property for like decades-a good friend.
It’s time to do something with it. We have no keys and no title. Right now we just want to get into it but it’s locked up tight and the battery is dead, dead, dead.
So I jacked open the top right drivers side door and made a tool where I could reach in and move the door lock to the unlocked position. It made no difference. Perhaps it is electric?
Where do I go from here? I can’t get the hood up to charge the battery.
View attachment 410358
Look for a trailer 7 way trailer connecion near the license plate. If the vehicle has this connection, one of the terminals is battery positive and one is battery negative. You can try to power up the vehicle via these connections, maybe charge the battery, too.

Attachments

• 7wayvehicle.jpg
    7wayvehicle.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 11

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look for a trailer 7 way trailer connecion near the license plate. If the vehicle has this connection, one of the terminals is battery positive and one is battery negative. You can try to power up the vehicle via these connections, maybe charge the battery, too.

This is a good idea as long as the trailer power fuse has been installed and the pigtail connected under the fusebox.

I also wonder if you could reach the red power junction connection from underneath the truck on the driver's side of the block? You could connect positive there and negative to the block for charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts