Need to soften Z71 suspension out of necessity

Discussion in 'Street Suspension' started by DanangMarine68, Aug 29, 2019.

Sponsored By: DJM Belltech
  1. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Plug your VIN in here and you can see what came on her originally and what you would need to convert to ZW7 suspension package. Bring Tony back in here too for something maybe even softer. @NORCAL SS

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

2. DanangMarine68

DanangMarine68 Member

Name:
    Bob
    Tried several vin decoders and most were for someone interested in buying a vehicle. From the vin I got that the GVW is 6800 lbs, front springs are 3600 and back springs are 3750 lbs. RPO codes indicate that I have JH2 7200 lb discs. 6XL and 7XL Computer Selected Suspension left and right respectively. FK2 FK3 left and right Torsion bar spring. Shocks appear to be original as there is no blatant advertising names on them. They have red bodies with black piston arm covers.

Besides the usual expendables like oil, gas, all associated filters and occasional bulbs I have replaced the spark plugs and wires at 120K miles, oil pressure sending unit 133K and Dash stepper motors at 137K. Had to replace an AC Schraeder valve at 95K miles. Bought this vehicle Feb of 2011 with 67K miles on it replacing a '96 Centurion Classic 150 with 155K miles on it.

When I go to the URL swathdiver provided it lists the rear shocks for the Z71 as P.N. 540-53 but it also says Exc BPH which I interpret to mean excluding BPH. I have BPH code on my glove box sticker. Also that site does not show a shock for the Z71 front.

3. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    You can try GMPartsGiant and GMPartsDirect to solidify your original part numbers. But as mentioned earlier, you can soften her up by running the ZW7 springs and shocks.

4. iddqd

iddqd Full Access Member

Name:
    Pavel
    BF Goodrich are VERY stiff tires. When I installed them on my LX470 back in the days, it roughened the ride dramatically. I'd try different tires first, DEFINITELY P, not LT rating. Depending on your needs, you can go to Highway or All Terrain. Highway P-rated tires would be the softest of the bunch.

5. ivin74

ivin74 05 Yukon Denali

Name:
    Ivan

Change the torsion bars and the rear springs for the denali ones. Also put some all season tires.