need some stereo help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
unhook them and see if you are getting a lot of draw.

i still need to know your setup.

sorry. lol

HU is apline
radio2.jpg

Speaker amp is an infinity 75W RMS

Sub amp is a apline 1000W RMS.

radio3.jpg

sub is a 12" rockford fosgate (only handles 500w RMS but it aint blown yet lol)
radio4.jpg

Timmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the distortion might be because you are putting to much power to your speakers

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An old or weak battery cannot filter out ripple from the alternator as effectively as a good battery and can cause alternator whine. You can try running a return ground lead from the amp's gnd to the radio gnd and see if that helps with the noise. What type of interconnects are you using? Are the mounting screws on the amps going through the vehicle's body? If so, this can cause a ground loop and introduce whine into the system also. Use a piece of MDF underneath the carpet mounted to the floor, then mount the amp to the MDF to eliminate the possiblility of a ground loop there.
The Infinity amps are hit and miss with alternator whine problems. Of all the amps I install, the only time I ever have a noise problem to diagnose is when I'm installing the 4 and 5ch Infinity Reference amps. You have to cross your t's and dot your i's when installing these f'ing Infinity amps.

OP
OP
Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Reaction score
Where is your HPF set on the 4ch?

uhhhh, huh??? lol. I didnt install this. So I have no effing idea. I could take it back to the shop though that did it. Or you can tell me where to look for this.

But you say the infinity amp may be the cause of all this??? Should I swap it out for something else. Now that its all run I can do this. But I will take your recommendation and get a piece of MFD and move them to that.

Also I think im going to just get an optima yellow top and hope for the best all the way around too.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying the amp is at fault. Just saying the Infinity's seem to be a bit more "touchy" and susceptible to noise if everything isn't just right.
The amp will have a built-in crossover with a HPF (High Pass Filter). Since you have subs in the truck, I'd set the HPF on somewhere around 60-80Hz. This will keep the lower frequencies from going to the smaller mid drivers and working them so hard, helping with distortion.

OP
OP
Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Reaction score
Not saying the amp is at fault. Just saying the Infinity's seem to be a bit more "touchy" and susceptible to noise if everything isn't just right.
The amp will have a built-in crossover with a HPF (High Pass Filter). Since you have subs in the truck, I'd set the HPF on somewhere around 60-80Hz. This will keep the lower frequencies from going to the smaller mid drivers and working them so hard, helping with distortion.

OK I know exactly what that is. Your acronyms were confusing me. But I get it now. I think they are over 80 so I will change that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed