Need more OOOMPH for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a AEM CAI, and a JBA 3 inch catback, i thought those two would make it roll out.

life in flatlands, but we hooked up the bikes on a tiny trailer, and headed to Blue Ridge Parkway for Memorial Day.

the ole Tahoe was not happy with the weight:
-wifes bike, ~500 pounds
-my bike ~750 pounds
-trailer ~700 pounds (if that)

if I left the cruise set, at ~70 it would drop from OD to drive, then down to second and wind it up to about 4500 RPM trying to hold speed.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have towed about double that weight and it pulled it just fine...

maybe some seafoam to clean up everything in the engine. if that doesnt work, try a BB tune and a rear end gear change

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow my Mustang on a car hauler which is about a 5,500 lb load and the Tahoe performs great! On flat lands I can set the cruise at 65mph and it will purr along in OD and does not search for gears. If it's hilly I put it into tow-haul mode to keep it out of OD...and that's with 33's and a leveling kit.

You shouldn't have a problem with as light of a load as you've described...

Last edited:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year Tahoe, how many miles, which transmission, wheel and tire size, and what are the final drive gear ratios on your rig?

OP
OP

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year Tahoe, how many miles, which transmission, wheel and tire size, and what are the final drive gear ratios on your rig?

it's all stock, except the CAI & Catback.

4x2, stock ride height. no huge heavy stereo, LT model (no power pass seat)

auto? thought they were all the same?

stock 20's

dunno, where is the RPO chart to decode these SUV's?

i wanted the RPO's to see if was FlexFuel, but i rented a flexfuel van, and it had a yellow fuel cap.

the dealer just put a new Throttle Body on it, (why previous owner traded it in)

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you have an 07 Tahoe the tranny must be a 4L60E. Just wanted to confirm you did not have the newer 6 speed.

Did you search google for RPO codes, there are many sites. Once you determine the final drive ratio, that will help out. Also do you have the 4.8 or 5.3L engine?

Are you sure the JBA catback exhaust is 3" in diameter? Did you notice any low end loss after install? Since your at 90k, was the 60k service completed?

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe that tows two jet skis and trailer (Probably around 3000lbs) and don't have a problem. I vote to get a tune.

Don't push the trailer/tow button if you're at that speed and you shouldn't have problems

Rpprvnce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same problem driving my 02 4x4 yukon with 5.3 home from nashville pulling a small trailer with a golf cart!!!! I just got the truck I sold my 454 suburban and i was shocked how terrible it pulled! I couldnt keep up with my dad in a 45ft diesel motor home! I know its not a 454 but my truck was dragging ass something awful through the hills... I think it got around 10 mpg. I need to know the first things that need to be done to improve this.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Richard, you need to provide more information regarding your truck. Just like I posted above, wheel and tire size, and what are the final drive gear ratios on your rig?

Joey, still need to know which engine you have and final drive ratio.

Just to compare, those above that posted no issues towing, what final drive ratio do you guys have? Final drive ratio will make a big difference.

At the very least have the Black Bear tune, but if you are going that route you might was well upgrade the intake and exhaust. Not sure what you guys are willing to spend. The BB tune will make a big difference in drivability.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts