Need Ideas...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Currently our Yukon XL has the Bose Factory headunit with DVD Rear seat video on the ceiling.

What I want to eventually include.

Retain Steering wheel controls,
Retain video playback on ceiling
Retain IR headphones if possible(since I just bought replacements)

Adding backup camera(Headunit display or rear view mirror we don't use on-star)
Adding lane change cameras(under mirrors possibly)
Adding our Video library to the vehicle, probably via kodi.

Of course it has to be easy to use for my wife or she'll strangle me, she wasn't a fan of the last stereo I installed.

My thoughts were using a Android Based Headunit, retaining the Bose amp/speakers it's good enough for us for now.
Stereo something similar to this: Seicane https://www.seicane.com/2007-2011-c...en-dvr-wifi-tv-steering-wheel-control-s018723

I imagine I probably could keep the cameras separate from the stereo just by using a rearview mirror with video(anyone seen the new 2019 Silverado/Denali mirror, full screen backup cam) If I could figure out how to wire the two cameras with auto switching to the mirror without breaking the bank.

As for a Video library, just has to be easy to navigate, I can run KODI or a Plex Server in the car, maybe with a Rasberry pi with a small SSD, and maybe one day add wifi and tablets for the kiddos... but that's unimportant right now, as they can share whatever.

I don't know just looking for ideas.
Thanks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kenwood can do all that, with the exception of the lane change camera's not sure how that setup would work the kenwood deck does support multiple camera views but you would still need some kind of sensor? not sure if the deck would automatically display the camera view when you hit the blinker (it might or I would assume that it should), rear view camera would be displayed on the main display of the deck unless you were planning on adding the rear view mirror with full video display it could be routed to that instead, all the other stuff steering wheel controls etc are all done with adapters.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kenwood, Pioneer and pretty much every market double din can do all that as Doubeleive mentioned. Just the lane change wont work. You can hook up 2 cameras with most of these units but none will alert you by itself and you'll normally want one of those cameras for the rear.

As far as 'streaming' stuff, it can be done on any unit as long as it has the HDMI or A/V connections BUT for your purpose, you are looking for a unit with DUAL ZONE. Thats the important factor. Dual Zone will let you broadcast to both the front and back or seperate. BUT, the disadvantage is HDMI was setup so you could not duplicate it. Not sure what that really means but I know you cant project what you watch on HDMI on more than 1 tv. You will need some type of adapter/converter that goes from A/V to HDMI and that will project in front and back. Quality wont be as good but its the only way. Thats currently how I'm setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9