Need help clarifying parking/turn signal for LED swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm back! College has been, well, college, and very busy. But I am 1 decision away from pulling the trigger on a full LED and headlight/DRL housing swap. Here's my question.

I am confused about how the turn signal works on my '03 Yukon. I understand there is some alternating going on, but I am just not sure enough in order to be confident that I am purchasing the correct bulbs.

To note: My housings will be clear. No amber reflector, no amber tints. Below is what I currently plan on getting for the bumper lights:

DRL - 3157-W18-T -
http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-bulb-dual-intensity-18-smd-led-tower/802/

Parking Light - 3157-W18-T -
http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-bulb-dual-intensity-18-smd-led-tower/802/

Turn Signal - 3157-A18-T -

Side Marker - WLED-A-120 -
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/instrument-cluster-gauge/194-led-bulb-1-led-wedge-base/197/
(Not exactly sure what I should be getting. THIS is my list of potentials. Should it be amber? Does it flash/need resistor? And how bright should it be?)

In addition to the side marker question above, here's another. Are the Turn Signal and Parking Light bulbs the same in the '03? Or are they different bulbs, and both must have the ability to "blink"?

Assuming they are different bulbs, should they both be amber? Should the Turn Signal even be amber?

As always, thanks for the help guys!

Edit:

I'll leave the above the same so I can still get confirmation, but I am thinking now that the "turn signal" is the alternating of the parking light and side marker. So, I will naturally be getting 2 Turning Signals/Parking Lights (same thing), and 2 Side Markers. However, the question of which to get is still up in the air intensity-wise. Also, does this mean that I will need 4 load resistors, 1 for each flashing bulb? Does 1 LED compatible flasher unit cover all 4 if I got one? I can put stuff in sockets, that's cool, but all bets are off when we start moving wires. Thanks again!

Edit 2: Flasher on my mind - http://www.amazon.com/Tridon-LM487-Flasher/dp/B001KS6GIG?tag=viglink12184-20

Last edited:

nkosmo

Reaction score
The turn signal/parking light are the same bulb (3157) and you will need a resistor for each of them. The side marker is a 194 and you do not need a resistor for it. When the turn signal is activated, the parking light will blink alternating with the side marker. Here is a picture of my HID/LED set-up. I am using switchback 120 SMD LED's for the parking light/turn signal and white 194's for the side marker:

picture.jpg

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have clarified. What I mean by are the parking light and "turn signal" the same bulb, I mean are they literally the same, physical, single bulb, just with 2 different names?

I've been reading about lots of folks using the switchbacks, but I don't think that is what I want to do. The truck isn't much for show, so I am cool with an amber parking light, which flashes anyway to alternate as blinker.

Legally, is there anything prohibiting an amber/amber wig-wag of the side marker and parking light alternating?

At that, is there a way to wire it/connect it so that the lights do not wig-wag, and instead they flash on/off at the same time? Even better, while maintaining parking light function. So basically, can I splice the parking light wire to connect to the side marker, so it has the same functions at the same time?

Thanks again!

nkosmo

Reaction score
Yes they are literally, physically the same 3157 bulb with 2 names and 2 operating modes (parking light & turn signal). So if you have a 3157 amber bulb, it will have a constant amber on and then blink amber/off when the turn signal is activated.

There is nothing that i know of that is illegal with amber/amber blinking. But you might want to do a google search for your state law...

You might be able to splice the turn signal wire (switched power wire) to the power wire of the side marker to make them blink at the same time. Try it out and see what happens.....

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

While you're at it grab an extra pair of 3157 LEDs for your DRLs. Post pictures when it's done, I love seeing LED setups! I think you'll be very happy with the result

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm just going to go with amber parking and amber side marker LEDs, and let them wig-wag, and see how it looks. From there we will see whats up.

Also, this post was just to confirm that question. I've got a list that I will be posting soon of what LEDs I bought and for where. It's a full conversion, interior and exterior, so there will be plenty of pictures, assuming it looks as awesome as I am hoping! Thank you very much for your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts