NAV/bluetooth/IPOD interface upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ludvball

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of threads about NAV on here. I have read a bunch of them. Thanks to all those that have helped others in the past, it is helping me now. so, I want to try an capture what I have read so far, and see what is recommended by those with experience.

I have an 03 Denali XL with the stock Bose system (no NAV).

The things that I would like to have:
NAV
Bluetooth
IPOD (no iphone)
DVD with screens in the second row
dual zone
keep current Bose speakers

From what I have read, it seems like there are two directions I could take. One, an aftermarket NAV head unit with these capabilities. Two, Factory NAV, aftermarket bluetooth and rear DVD player. I am leaning towards the first option, since it puts it all in one, and in the long run is probably cheaper. So, I won't talk about the other option now.

I have heard that Pioneer and Kenwood are great options. I have always been an Alpine fan myself, but am open to what will give me the best overall set up. The model that I saw that looked like it covered everything was the Pioneerr avic z120bt. Are there other options that might want to consider?

In the past I have done all of my auto/stereo work myself. It has been a few years since a major install. Lately, I have been starting to have things done for me, since time seems to be more important now a days with two young ones keeping me busy. It looks like this is pretty much installed using connectors rather than having to do custom wiring. That is assuming I buy from a place like Crutchfield that will include the connectors. Am I correct?

How does the second zone integrate into the current system? Is it through the second row console? wireless? or rear speakers. What I am getting at is will the kids be able to listen to the DVD without us having to hear it?

My last question for now....I was not interested in using aftermarket speakers or amps. I read in one thread that running an aftermarket head unit through the current Bose speakers reduces sound quality. Is this very noticeable?

Sorry for being so long winded, and thanks for any help.

OP
OP
ludvball

ludvball

Reaction score
Hasn't anyone installed the avic z120bt, or something similar?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, wish I could say I have but I can't!! Hopefully someone chimes in with some experience for ya!

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cant help w/ the rear audio as i have no idea. lol.. but for the nav and bluetooth, i would say go with the aftermarket one. As i think you stated you are. But for the rest of that, sorry i really dont know.

For sound quality, ive never had bad sound from putting in a stereo w/ factory speakers. Should sound alot better to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullyfiberchick