My thoughts on my '15 SLT VS '16 Denali upgrade after a few months

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngeloUCF

Reaction score
Figured I'd throw this out there in case it's helpful to some although I'm sure others have posted their opinions already. I leased a 15 Yukon SLT (few options) about two years ago with super low mileage and had to re-lease after breaching the mileage limit less than half way through the lease term due to an unexpected company move and relocation. I was looking for a baseline Denali but due to some dealer incentives I ended up with a loaded out '16 model.

Pros of the upgrade
- Denali 6.2 engine is marvelous and much more satisfying on the highway than the 5.3. Main reason I wanted to upgrade and it sounds throaty as well
- adaptive cruise control is great. I read that many don't use it but I find it very handy in conjunction with the forward collision assist and lane keep assist. It is semi autonomous.
- HUD is great. I hardly use the speedo in the cluster anymore
- the sunroof was a welcome upgrade although I don't use it frequently
- LTE hotspot works really well and is very handy on road trips.
- wireless charging works very well and eliminates the need for a separate wireless charger that I had to plug in (I didn't have a '15i)
- apple car play works as advertised but I don't use it since I don't like to plug my phone in
- intellilink is better (faster) but not by much
- auto high beams is pretty cool and works very intelligently
- most of the instrument cluster is digital unlike on the SLT. Looks great.
- No gas cap? Hell yeah! Not sure if this is a '16 upgrade or Denali but it's awesome
- sliding covers for the center console compartments and cupholders are a nice touch
- voice prompts are faster for making calls via Bluetooth.
- I love the motorized running boards but they are a bit flashy haha
- seat vibration is stronger and louder. Not sure if this is good or bad

Cons of the upgrade
- the 8-speed transmission is garbage compared to the SLT. It's always searching for gears and clunks a LOT during low speeds like in parking lots.
- obviously it costs more per month. Fuel Mileage is the same although it requires premium unlike the SLT.
- cooled seats don't seem as strong as in the SLT, especially in the seatback. I use them every single day here in FL and one of the main reasons I went with a Yukon over a Tahoe.
- the rear seat entertainment system is ok but really blocks the rear view
- stock tires on the 22s are not as grippy as the Bridgestones on the SLTs 20"s. Not sure what they are.

That's about it. Overall very happy with the upgrade. I'd love to hear opinions from others that have done the same.

GingerJay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome! This really helped me a lot.

Any ride comfort difference in the 20" vs 22"?

Any noticible difference in the quality of leather between the SLT and Denali?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd throw this out there in case it's helpful to some although I'm sure others have posted their opinions already. I leased a 15 Yukon SLT (few options) about two years ago with super low mileage and had to re-lease after breaching the mileage limit less than half way through the lease term due to an unexpected company move and relocation. I was looking for a baseline Denali but due to some dealer incentives I ended up with a loaded out '16 model.

Pros of the upgrade
- Denali 6.2 engine is marvelous and much more satisfying on the highway than the 5.3. Main reason I wanted to upgrade and it sounds throaty as well
- adaptive cruise control is great. I read that many don't use it but I find it very handy in conjunction with the forward collision assist and lane keep assist. It is semi autonomous.
- HUD is great. I hardly use the speedo in the cluster anymore
- the sunroof was a welcome upgrade although I don't use it frequently
- LTE hotspot works really well and is very handy on road trips.
- wireless charging works very well and eliminates the need for a separate wireless charger that I had to plug in (I didn't have a '15i)
- apple car play works as advertised but I don't use it since I don't like to plug my phone in
- intellilink is better (faster) but not by much
- auto high beams is pretty cool and works very intelligently
- most of the instrument cluster is digital unlike on the SLT. Looks great.
- No gas cap? Hell yeah! Not sure if this is a '16 upgrade or Denali but it's awesome
- sliding covers for the center console compartments and cupholders are a nice touch
- voice prompts are faster for making calls via Bluetooth.
- I love the motorized running boards but they are a bit flashy haha
- seat vibration is stronger and louder. Not sure if this is good or bad

Cons of the upgrade
- the 8-speed transmission is garbage compared to the SLT. It's always searching for gears and clunks a LOT during low speeds like in parking lots.
- obviously it costs more per month. Fuel Mileage is the same although it requires premium unlike the SLT.
- cooled seats don't seem as strong as in the SLT, especially in the seatback. I use them every single day here in FL and one of the main reasons I went with a Yukon over a Tahoe.
- the rear seat entertainment system is ok but really blocks the rear view
- stock tires on the 22s are not as grippy as the Bridgestones on the SLTs 20"s. Not sure what they are.

That's about it. Overall very happy with the upgrade. I'd love to hear opinions from others that have done the same.

Good overview. Interesting about your trans. I have a late (April) 16 build and my trans has been solid. I've noticed a lurch once or twice but never the searching you're talking about. Have you asked the dealer about it? I know there was an update to the software at some point to deal with some trans issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2manycars4me

Reaction score
Strange with the 8 speed. Mine is smooth, no clunking or lurching with it. In fact driving down the road it is difficult sometimes to tell which gear it shifted to or from. I'd bring it back and ask about a software update. Back in the 90's I had a Chevy Sport truck which clunked. GM kept saying nothing was wrong, well until 37,000 miles when the trans failed.

OP
OP
A

AngeloUCF

Reaction score
There was a slight ride difference with the 22s but wouldn't keep me from getting them if I had to do it again.

The leather does look and feel nicer and feels like it will hold up better than the SLT but I won't know for sure for another year. The were already wrinkles in the seat of my SLT when u traded it in.

Thanks for the trans info! Glad to hear its not normal I'll ask the dealer next week when I take it in for the recall fix.

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a transmission recall, nor do I believe there is a software upgrade. The dealer will "reset" the software, which will delete any "learning" it has done. At least, that's what mine has done on my 15.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64