My new Yukon, or The Definition of Insanity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diggerdan11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded in my 07 Yukon Denali for a 11 Yukon XL Denali with a lot less miles. I have told myself a million times I would never buy a black vehicle again, yet here I am. Looks like I need to look a little more into Ceramic coating so I can keep her looking shiny for a while.

Before:

8ec58694fbbba46d0263fe49f49f72f2.jpg

After:

7d094cfbba15bd65b8a39f4bc82dc078.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded in my 07 Yukon Denali for a 11 Yukon XL Denali with a lot less miles. I have told myself a million times I would never buy a black vehicle again, yet here I am. Looks like I need to look a little more into Ceramic coating so I can keep her looking shiny for a while.

Before:

8ec58694fbbba46d0263fe49f49f72f2.jpg

After:

7d094cfbba15bd65b8a39f4bc82dc078.jpg

Did the same thing! Black is beautiful though and costs more to care for to boot.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had 5 black vehicles in my household over the years. It's not that bad if you do a full paint correction once or twice per year and keep a good coat of high-quality wax on it. Paint correction can be done in 90 minutes or less.
However, if you frequently drive dirt or gravel roads, black paint sucks.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I've had 5 black vehicles in my household over the years. It's not that bad if you do a full paint correction once or twice per year and keep a good coat of high-quality wax on it. Paint correction can be done in 90 minutes or less.
However, if you frequently drive dirt or gravel roads, black paint sucks.

How are you doing a paint correction in 90 minutes? I must need some of whatever you're eating.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL
I just did my daughter's 9-year-old black car Saturday. It took me an hour to do the paint correction with DA polisher and another 30 minutes to wax it. Granted, her car is a small car. I'd allow roughly 90 minutes to do a Tahoe or maybe two hours for a Suburban or Yukon XL.

These estimates are for a vehicle with average-condition paint (some scuffs, light scratches, minor spider-webbing) and no glaring issues. Correction using a DA polisher, and wax applied and removed by hand. Meguiars Ultimate Compound for correction; I have their Ultimate Polish in my arsenal but find there's no need to follow Ultimate Compound with it. Wax is Collinite 845---couldn't be easier to apply & remove. Paint looks wet.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
LOL
I just did my daughter's 9-year-old black car Saturday. It took me an hour to do the paint correction with DA polisher and another 30 minutes to wax it. Granted, her car is a small car. I'd allow roughly 90 minutes to do a Tahoe or maybe two hours for a Suburban or Yukon XL.

These estimates are for a vehicle with average-condition paint (some scuffs, light scratches, minor spider-webbing) and no glaring issues. Correction using a DA polisher, and wax applied and removed by hand. Meguiars Ultimate Compound for correction; I have their Ultimate Polish in my arsenal but find there's no need to follow Ultimate Compound with it. Wax is Collinite 845---couldn't be easier to apply & remove. Paint looks wet.

No clay, then? There's the time savings.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I clayed, buffed, polished, then sealed my hood this weekend and it took me almost 3 hours just on it.

3 hours just for the hood, huh? So far, mine has taken me 3 years just for the thoughts about doing it.

It needs attention- looks like water spots all over it. I'll probably do it after I lower it cuz then it'd be easier to work on.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 hours just for the hood, huh? So far, mine has taken me 3 years just for the thoughts about doing it.

It needs attention- looks like water spots all over it. I'll probably do it after I lower it cuz then it'd be easier to work on.
Well to be fair the Genesis has a big damn hood. It was actually micro scratches and etched water spots in the clear that I was removing. And I admit, I really enjoy working on car paint like that. Granted, it's usually more fun when it's not 90+ degrees in my garage. F'ing Mississippi heat and humidity. The little black spots on the hood are reflections from the ceiling in the garage.

hood.jpg