My GMC and OnStar questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize you have to pay for On Star after 3 months if you want its features to continue... I Like all of its potential features, but way to pricey a month for the little use it gets...

What's the story with My GMC? Is it only good or active for a certain period of time? What is its relevancy to on board information?

If you want ANY connected information such as live traffic info ( NOT in AA or ACP) etc.. what is the bare minimum you have to "Subscribe" to in order to get up to date information? Does this have to be thru OnStar only? Can you use your phone for a connected Hotspot?

I assume there is no place to insert and/or replace a SIM card of your own carrier if you wanted to put the vehicle on a plan you already have...

I'm just not into continual monthly charges that I usually get little good out of...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck is stolen, Onstar will be near priceless. They can slow down and disable the truck and give its location to the police. If you leave your keys inside, a call to onstar or your phone app can unlock the doors. You can also remote start the truck from your phone to cool down the cabin and get the engine up to temp. I liked that the truck had its own phone number but heard they are doing away with that now. I am not tethered to a phone.

You have to go on their website and compare plans, they line them up side by side.

ArcticF5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am in a similar situation and so far this is what I have learned:

My Chevrolet/My GMC App - Requires subscription to maintain (min: Remote Access @ $14.99 /month) - basically onboard info on your phone with ability to unlock/lock without fob as well as long distance remote start (all you can do with fob minus the distance piece).
Connected Navigation - requires data plan as won't use your cellular hotspot (min: App Access @ $14.99 /month)
Alexa / In Vehicle Apps - requires data plan, but you can connect your vehicle to your phone hotspot or any Wifi network and these then work

Now if you want the My Chevy / My GMC app to work and the connected navigation, then the cheapest plan that gives both is Connected Vehicle @ $24.99 /month. Now you can always negotiate those prices (YMMV). I called in and got my trial extended to three months from one. I do like the connected Nav and the kids get a kick out of Alex in the car, but not sure I will pay $24.99 /month just for that.

Dez78n

Reaction score
Ugh.... Our 2018 GMC, we've never paid anything to be able to use the app to start/unlock the truck. In fact, that was one of the big selling points for me bc my Honda was never free to that app. Never occurred to me that it would have changed only for new purchases so I had no idea until after I'd already ordered mine. It's frustrating.

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to let mine expire as I don't really use it; even the MyGMC app. Once it expires, going to if using my phone as the WiFi hotspot will work for connectivity (Page 188 in the owners manual) that the vehicle needs and I want.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had Onstar on our last three vehicles since 2014. Won't be renewing it when it come due. We searched hard to find out just what is provided with what plan with no real answers. On our last renewal I asked pointedly if the renewal they offered was for everything we had already, was assured that there would be no changes. Next day we had a basic reduced plan without the phone remote functions and other stuff. They basically lied to us. Won't happen again. But the best GPS and traffic info right now is with the wife's iPhone maps app. Pretty darn amazing how they can show a traffic jam or even a slow down that's ahead in real time. And really great vocal navigation also. And I can just ask my LG phone where the nearest 'whatever' is and get directions right to it. Pretty impressive stuff. I haven't been lost for a good while.

OP
OP
Stbentoak

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest negative I see... without having their captive data plan, anything you want to use is relatively useless. I realize all about AA and ACP and they do work, but I hate them monopolizing my infotainment system while in use.. and they are the ONLY way to receive live texts, which sucks in my opinion.

AngeloUCF

Reaction score
Ugh.... Our 2018 GMC, we've never paid anything to be able to use the app to start/unlock the truck. In fact, that was one of the big selling points for me bc my Honda was never free to that app. Never occurred to me that it would have changed only for new purchases so I had no idea until after I'd already ordered mine. It's frustrating.
Looks like per Dcmaynor's link that's still going to be free, thank goodness. I'm 2 months into my 2021 Tahoe and would be super annoyed if remote start from the app stopped working without a subscription after the trial.

OP
OP
Stbentoak

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the GMC app how can you tell the current status if your vehicle is locked or not? I see where you can do it, but not what it’s current confirmed status it…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645