My first mechanical failure on the 3.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, not a major 'failure', but still. Took the XL in for an oil change and the tech found oil on the front of the pan area. It was hard to tell from underneath because of the splash guard, but sure enough there was a mist of oil on the passenger side. Turns out the front crank seal is leaking. Under warranty, it's no biggie, but 10.5 hours of shop time would be unwelcome news later on. I'm assuming this is an outlier due to a faulty seal since I haven't seen it mentioned by anybody else.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early LM2's had an issue where the lip of the rear main seal rolled during installation at the factory. There's a TSB out there and I believe it only applies to '20 thru '21 Pickups and SUVs. GM issued a new part number for the rear timing cover and seal, which included a tool to help guide the seal and keep it from rolling over the edge during install.

Your issue is the first time I've heard of a front crank seal leaking... :/

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, not a major 'failure', but still. Took the XL in for an oil change and the tech found oil on the front of the pan area. It was hard to tell from underneath because of the splash guard, but sure enough there was a mist of oil on the passenger side. Turns out the front crank seal is leaking. Under warranty, it's no biggie, but 10.5 hours of shop time would be unwelcome news later on. I'm assuming this is an outlier due to a faulty seal since I haven't seen it mentioned by anybody else.
Hi,
Can you please give me the TSB or service bulletin, if you have it?

OP
OP
Pro299

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No TSB, just a random seal failure. Maybe an out of spec part, or maybe damage during assembly, don't know. Warranty covered it and no one else has reported similar, so I guess I just drew the short straw.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooops. I just took the time to look at StephenPT's link. https://gm-techlink.com/?p=14641 This is a detailed GM posting on "TechLink", apparently a GM website. It does not say that there is a defect. Rather, it says "Some 2020-2021 Silverado, Sierra; 2021 Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon and Escalade models equipped with the 3.0L diesel engine (RPO LM2) may have an oil leak concern and DTC P06DD (Engine Oil Pressure Control Valve Performance) may be set. These conditions may occur if the rear main oil seal has moved or is severely shifted out of position in the timing chain lower cover." So there might be other reasons for this, such as service performed incorrectly, but it does not rule out that some LM2's may have this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar