Moonroof not closing completely

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkendrix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it not traveling far enough or is the gasket worn out and just not sealing?

First thing I’d do is see if I can readjust the glass in the opening.

There are 2 or 3 screws on each side that attach the glass to the frame. If you loosen them, you can adjust the glass position and see if that helps. Just make sure the front edge is just slightly below the roof and the rear is just slightly proud of the roof, like the thickness of a business card.

You can get to the screws by popping off the accordion pieces. I can’t remember if you need to pull the inner trim piece off first. It’s been awhile since it had to get in there and that was to replace the gasket that goes around the glass.
WJ, any chance you know a weather strip source for older Tahoe sunroofs? I found a couple of complete replacement sunroof folks but not just the weather strip. 04 Tahoe LT

lasnubes44

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of acquiring a 2004 Tahoe in great shape, overall, in the summer of 2023. The previous owner informed us that the moon roof leaked so they did not use it.... I left it alone until a few days ago, and discovered that when you close it... you have to be quick on the draw and lift on the switch or it does not stop but instead raises the back... hence the leak... you have to rock the switch back and forth until a very dim volume click of a switch to indicate when to stop it. Now, my question is that a switch that should be replaced, (if so, a part number would be appreciated) or is their a limiting interrupt that I should search for... WIDE OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS... and most appreciative... William Hill, Boquete, Panama

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
WJ, any chance you know a weather strip source for older Tahoe sunroofs? I found a couple of complete replacement sunroof folks but not just the weather strip. 04 Tahoe LT
Welcome to your first post at the forum.

Post the last 8 digits of your VIN and maybe our parts guru @915_Tahoe can help.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of acquiring a 2004 Tahoe in great shape, overall, in the summer of 2023. The previous owner informed us that the moon roof leaked so they did not use it.... I left it alone until a few days ago, and discovered that when you close it... you have to be quick on the draw and lift on the switch or it does not stop but instead raises the back... hence the leak... you have to rock the switch back and forth until a very dim volume click of a switch to indicate when to stop it. Now, my question is that a switch that should be replaced, (if so, a part number would be appreciated) or is their a limiting interrupt that I should search for... WIDE OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS... and most appreciative... William Hill, Boquete, Panama
Sounds like you have a faulty limit switch. The open/close button has two detents in each direction.

When you only press to the first detent, the glass will be moving until you release the switch. But if you hold it long enough, the glass should fully open/close and then stop. It would take another press after closing to open the rear of the glass.

If you press to the second detent, that engages "auto" mode, and you can release the switch and the glass should fully open or close. Again, it should only close, requiring another press of the switch to open the rear of the glass.

And all sunroofs leak. A sunroof is designed with gutters and drain tubes to channel the water out of the vehicle.

OP
OP
B

Brymck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK I got the new moonroof seal but it looks nothing like the old one. The old one has a lip inside that goes in-between the glass and metal and the new one just cups around the edge of the glass. Not sure if its a new design or just wrong part. Has anyone had this issue? The part # is GM#22815954

lasnubes44

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a faulty limit switch. The open/close button has two detents in each direction.

When you only press to the first detent, the glass will be moving until you release the switch. But if you hold it long enough, the glass should fully open/close and then stop. It would take another press after closing to open the rear of the glass.

If you press to the second detent, that engages "auto" mode, and you can release the switch and the glass should fully open or close. Again, it should only close, requiring another press of the switch to open the rear of the glass.

And all sunroofs leak. A sunroof is designed with gutters and drain tubes to channel the water out of the vehicle.
By limit switch, is that part of the actual operating switch or is there a separate replaceable switch and if so, where is it, please... and THANK YOU for response.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
GM part site says sunroof seal #22815964 is for 07-20 sunroofs.

It’s got to be the same shape as the old one to stay stuck on the sunroof. It sounds like you got a seal to a steel sunroof that’s mismarked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n