Misfire at high RPM's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Donf

Reaction score
based on the age the fuel injectors are dirty put some lucas fuel injector cleaner 5 oz per gallon of fuel will do the job
They were replaced last month. Thanks though

OP
OP
D

Donf

Reaction score
Well, I swapped plugs, no change, I swapped wires, no change. Dumped a big bottle of Techron in it, now just have to drive a few hundred miles and see.
Compression test if not better.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I swapped plugs, no change, I swapped wires, no change. Dumped a big bottle of Techron in it, now just have to drive a few hundred miles and see.
Compression test if not better.
not a fan of Techron

I bought chevron gas from 84k to 103k and my injectors were never cleaned

I ended up using lucas fuel injector cleaner which did the job...

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Big fan of Techron additive bottles, but not at the pump. Girlfriend (wife, later) had a 1986 Bronco II that wouldn't pass emissions. The Ferd dealer cleaned the injectors and it barely passed. Two tanks of gas with Techron bottles added and the next emission test it passed with flying colors, and ran a lot better.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The additives for the cleaning of injectors really kick in in the Plus Grade at Chevron. I use that.
yes it was the premium grade fuel but I suspect they were cheating and putting 87 octane in the 91 pump ('premium fuel')
as well as a few other gas stations in the area.

you can tell because the AFM will hyperloop on/off rapidly and destroy the engine with 87 octane

it does not hyperloop with 91 or higher octane.... I have it disabled with a chip btw

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Even when I was in KC, Mo. and there were no Chevron stations there at that time but I did buy Techron and use it with good results. I know there are other cleaners but I know this has worked before and still does for me and I have no problems with my engine running the Plus Grade.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DonF- Were you able to get live data on your scanner? Might plug it in and see if your fuel trims and manifold pressure aren't wandering around While you are putting miles on her.