Mileage change with lift ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scot_c

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm considering a 2" leveling lift on my 2013 Tahoe LT, 4WD, 3.42 rear end. 275/55R20 tires, 5.3 engine.
I'll keep the tires. I'm currently averaging 17.5mpg combined
Does anyone have experience with mileage difference after a lift? The reason I'm thinking that it will decrease is that ride height is a factor in air resistance and therefore mileage. Low clearance vehicles such as performance and race cars sit low to the ground, so it seems reasonable that raisinig the ground clearance would decrease mileage, but how much is the question.
I'm interested in mileage change for any size lift, not just 2".
TIA.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@scot_c Mileage does decrease but I don't think it's a perfect science. Tire size and how wide the wheels sit from the body with also make a difference. Also having the front higher than the rear will decrease, I think I gained a solid 1 mpg when I got rid of my squat.

Rack will also increase drag, I replaced my factory rack with a beefy gmt800 Z71 rack and I bet that affects my mpg.

I am lifted about 3.5 inches with 33 inch tires, my wheels have a wide stance and stick out about an inch past the fender flares. 5.3 motor with 3.73 gears and I get about 16 mpg doing 75, I get about 18mpg doing 65.

OP
OP
scot_c

scot_c

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@scot_c Mileage does decrease but I don't think it's a perfect science. Tire size and how wide the wheels sit from the body with also make a difference. Also having the front higher than the rear will decrease, I think I gained a solid 1 mpg when I got rid of my squat.

Rack will also increase drag, I replaced my factory rack with a beefy gmt800 Z71 rack and I bet that affects my mpg.

I am lifted about 3.5 inches with 33 inch tires, my wheels have a wide stance and stick out about an inch past the fender flares. 5.3 motor with 3.73 gears and I get about 16 mpg doing 75, I get about 18mpg doing 65.
Thanks for the reply. That's amazing mileage given the mods you've made.

liveaboard74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just simi retired drive a truck down around Myrtle Beach. Thats the show ground for Squatted trucks. Those boys have more in those trucks then they do their houses. LOL
Personally I hate them but I'm not the owner and I still respect the effort that goes into those boys build. :) OLD GEAR HEAD. I checked with a lot of company's before ordering my 3.5 lift kit. I'm 3 in the rear and going to add one inch spring spacers to get the rear up where it looks more level to me. Most kits are lower in the rear or less than the front . Just make sure you don't wind up with a issue it looks that way.
If leveled is all you want you might have to order the front and rear separate. 3 front 3 rear. I order the kit and shocks together. 3.5 and 3 rear. Still looks lower so the once inch spring spacers in the rear will give me the look I want for a beach truck. Waiting on spacers to install the new rims and tires I have. Still have the old rims on it for now. 298233701_2465439676932409_8228277773098076475_n.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I bought my Silverado it was lowered 4/6 and got pretty decent gas mileage, then I lifted it up 4.5/4.5 level" and gas mileage got halved, I can still get 14 or so out of it if I just drive like a sane person, and it gets up to 34 apparently if I really baby it. This shows my more "spirited" driving lately, lol
mpg.jpg

OP
OP
scot_c

scot_c

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
when I bought my Silverado it was lowered 4/6 and got pretty decent gas mileage, then I lifted it up 4.5/4.5 level" and gas mileage got halved, I can still get 14 or so out of it if I just drive like a sane person, and it gets up to 34 apparently if I really baby it. This shows my more "spirited" driving lately, lol
View attachment 377657
According to the mileage and fuel gauge, you must have just filled up, lol. That's good information, thanks. 34 is amazing; best I've gotten with my Tahoe is 21 on the highway.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the mileage and fuel gauge, you must have just filled up, lol. That's good information, thanks. 34 is amazing; best I've gotten with my Tahoe is 21 on the highway.
when it was lowered it got much better I cleared it out after I had it lifted because I couldn't believe the drop, o'well I get to have more fun with it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep