Midas Mistake ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmannx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At 45,000 miles I had new pads and rotors surfaced from Midas. A short 14,000 miles later the Tahoe is shuddering when braking - especially when coming down steep grades. Returned to Midas and they want to charge me to replace the pads (again) and now install new rotors. I walked out calling BS on the whole deal.
Does this seem odd to anyone else ?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When they cut them, did they tell you that they were getting thin?

OP
OP
dmannx

dmannx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They only indicated that they resurfaced the rotors. No mention of them being "thin"

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They probably didn't clean the mounting flange. Skipping that step will make the nice fresh true rotors wobble. Each time the rotor contacts the pad as it wobbles it removes a minute amount of metal. Now your rotors have a low spot causing pulsation.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a repair shop and we stopped turning rotors YEARS ago. All you do is ask for problems.

You turn a rotor, you make it thinner. The thinner it is, the easier it is to warp.

100% ZERO fault of shop that did your work.

You need new brake rotors and pads. You want new pads even if they aren't worn out because the warped rotors will have caused irregular wear to the pads that the naked eye can't see.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never turn rotors. If they need turning I just replace them.

quattrotman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's Midas' fault. If they did that after you left that would be a different story but after 14k miles, you've cooked them at one point causing glazing on the rotors/pads. This is what is causing the shuddering. Only repair is new pads and new rotors or turning the rotors. Either way, it happens sometimes...best way to avoid is make sure they are broken in properly. Easiest way? You can follow manufacturer proceedure on the box the pads came in but I always just drive easy on the brakes for the first 500mi and no panic stops. Never had a prob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700