Mevotech Lower Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This refers to P/N:
- Mevotech CMS20343
- Mevotech CMS20342

I installed these around March 2020. The ball joint boots on both lower control arms have failed. I didn't cut/knick then when installing -- instead, the boots have seemingly shrunk or degraded and grease (which I apply every 5K oil change) is just squeezing out within something like 50 miles. They don't stay full - it takes a ton of pumps to swell the boot at which point the grease starts spewing out from the seams. The boot is seated as seated as seated can be on these things. Unsurprisingly, the same issue is occurring with my Mevotech upper control arms, but at least those are retaining some grease (based upon the fact there's less gunk around it and it only takes a pump or two to swell the boot). Meanwhile, my Moog tie rods are tip top.

I realize every greaseable ball joint is going to let SOME grease out, especially if over-filled, but these Mevotech lower control arm ball joints' boots are just turning to brittle crap and don't hold anything in.

How many miles since replacement? 7K at worst. Southern truck. Absolute junk.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the lower shock mount bushings... yeah, those are already bad on both. They've cracked to the point that I can shift around the lower part of the shock so easily it's ridiculous. I've been feeling like the Bilstein Yellow shocks I have were problematic... welp, no, it's likely the bushing.

I will be calling Mevotech for warranty. Apparently these have a 3-year warranty. If they are cool about it, I'll report it here. If they aren't, I'm replacing the bad parts with Moog, I guess. I don't want to do the whole lower control arm again -- that was a pain in the ass and, quite frankly, it's very expensive now.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can get replacement boots at parts stores if you want or of course do the warranty submission. I just ordered these for my 05 Z:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1151604&cc=1431156&jsn=944 and https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1151442&cc=1431156&jsn=945

Plus I also got the GM upper arms too: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10372488&cc=1431156&jsn=948

You saved, if you got at RA, around $20 to $25 for each arm and are having these problems. OE got you so far, why not stick with them?

Sorry you are having problems.

OP
OP
W

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get OEM, sure. They weren't listed as an option for me on RockAuto when I bought, otherwise I likely would have. AC Delco is same as aftermarket but the OEM part numbers are good.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Avoid that chicom brand at all costs! Also dont get AC Delco Advantage or Economy Moog line that has part numbers starting with an "R"

I prefer Ac Delco professional over Moog problem solver. I just installed AC Delco pro upper and lower control arms and inner/ outer tie rod on mine with 285k on the factory parts. If was no object I'd get GM , plus I wouldn't be driving a 15 year old truck with this many miles.

Last edited:

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, Mevotech is good if the vehicle is on it's last leg and you just need to get by....... barely. I've never had an issue with Moog Problem Solver line on any of my vehicles.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moog are my go to front end parts.

Agreed, Mevotech is good if the vehicle is on it's last leg and you just need to get by....... barely. I've never had an issue with Moog Problem Solver line on any of my vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts