Mechanically ignorant, can u help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ Iron

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been all over this site and talked with my local shop. I have a stock 05 4wd with 16"s. Not looking to dump a ton of $$ into it but want a more aggressive look Will probably keep 16"s and add a bigger tire). I was told start with a level kit then add a body lift if not enough. So my question is: I've read that people will "crank the factory keys" but I read that makes the ride stiffer and adds a little front end stress. So if I go with "Ford" keys in the front, how does that raise the front without the stiff ride of cranking the factory keys? Is it a physically bigger piece that in and of itself raises the front? Also, people usually go hand in hand with "rear spacers" with the ford keys, why?

Thanks

Yusofat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you can crank your factory keys and it will give you some lift but you'll sacrifice the ride because when the bars are fully cranked, there is little give for the suspension to cycle. If you go too far you'll put your ball joints at an angle that will lead to premature failure. You can also crank too much on the keys in the leveling kits too and I'm sure the Ford keys as well. I've read about using Ford keys as well but I've never seen them compared sided by side so I'm not quite sure about the physical dimensions. I imagine that they may be a little larger and indexed in a similar way to the keys in new leveling kits to give the extra inches of lift. When you put the new keys in and reinstall the torsion bar you'll be tightening a bolt that turns the key and since the torsion bar is in the key the bar rotates and increases your ride height. The spacers are used to increase the height in the rear by adding to the coil height.

First you need to figure out what size tire you want to run. If you want to run 33's you could just get new keys and have those installed. If you want the rear height up a little, get the spacers. Individual parts or full kits can be found on ebay or other online shops. Remember that you'll probably need to replace your front shocks with longer shocks if you put a leveling kit on. Or, you'll need to get shock extensions. Depending on the mileage on your ride you may want to replace your shocks anyway.

If you have any other questions that I didn't cover just let me know and I'll try my best to answer them.

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ford keys are 'clocked' differently than the stock GM. All you're doing is allowing more cranking to raise the front end. And, YES, you will increase the stiffness of the ride. An alternative is to change out the torsion bars themselves. However, as Yusofat pointed out, changing the angle of the ball joints will lead to premature wear. If you're serious about the amount of lift, get a suspension kit. That'll give you height, while keeping things aligned, within specs.

OP
OP
A

AZ Iron

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I follow you both and thanks. That being said, should I just go with a body lift to achieve 2 or so more inches? My thought being it wouldn't stress out the parts the keys/torsion would and I would achieve the height without stiffening the ride. Cost wise, that would be a happy medium between level kit and suspension lift. Or am I way off base? I think a suspension lift is more than I want to pay just to raise it a hair. Thoughts...

OP
OP
A

AZ Iron

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to go conservative and have "decided" on the below level kit (going to keep the 16's and get a larger tire when the time comes). Since my Tahoe has about 115k miles probably won't hurt to have shocks changed as well (as opposed to extenders). Assuming this kit achieves the height/level I'm looking for, any pros/cons as far as the equipment or cheaper way to put this together?

Thanks

Here's the link- http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROX-01-06-T...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccc257f5b

As you see, or don't, it has spacers, keys and shocks. Didn't know if this package itself was too generic, too expensive, or poor quality. My local shop is doing the work. I have thought it out. Don't want to put the $$ into suspension lift and don't care for body lifts.
My current tires are good, that's why I'm keeping them until I go to a 255/85, 265/75 or 285/75 16"s.
Was just trying to keep member reading down to a minimum.

Last edited:

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think your a bit over your head my friend if you can't even copy and paste an ebay link.

if you want to keep your stock 16's, any tire bigger than a 265 75 16 will start having fitment issues. your tires will not wear properly or last as long. a wider aftermarket wheel will allow a wider and taller tire to fit/wear properly.

in my opinion, grab some torsion keys and crank the front up a bit, get new bilstien 5100 shocks all the way around, fresh alignment, and then some 17x8 wheels on 285 70 17's.

if not, 265 75 16 will fit stock and you can crank the factory keys a little bit but it will not quite be level. still have a better stance for cheap.

if you are adjusting the torsion keys, you will need a fresh alignment afterwards.

here is a nice read for you.
http://www.gmfullsize.com/tech/torsion401.html

put some thought, time, and effort into what you want to achieve and what your budget is. don't just throw parts at it and hope they go together.