Lucas Lighting new install issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I paid top dollar to have Lucas lighting installed in my 2011 Chevy Tahoe. My Tahoe has after market light housing and they are to my knowledge reflective lenses or projector type lenses. So the new bulbs dispersed a lot more light. However the light emitted from the light housings seems weak. It’s really weak and doesn’t really project like I thought it would. Not for the money I paid. What options do you think I have.

Thank you.

Ken

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I paid top dollar to have Lucas lighting installed in my 2011 Chevy Tahoe. My Tahoe has after market light housing and they are to my knowledge reflective lenses or projector type lenses. So the new bulbs dispersed a lot more light. However the light emitted from the light housings seems weak. It’s really weak and doesn’t really project like I thought it would. Not for the money I paid. What options do you think I have.

Thank you.

Ken
well, need more info
reflector and projector are completely different
lucas lighting is what type? hid, led, >?
are the lucas adjustable? that is the main thing if they are led light they may need to be adjusted to work in the light housing better, led's have a blank spot where there is no light output. the brainiacs have not figured out how to make them round yet.

OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for crossing wires on information. Thought a photo would better explain.

“installed the MX series because the housing for the L3 was too big for your aftermarket headlamp assemblies and even still we had to modify the mounting to get these to fit.”

What would you do in this situation?

Thank you.

Ken

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for crossing wires on information. Thought a photo would better explain.

“installed the MX series because the housing for the L3 was too big for your aftermarket headlamp assemblies and even still we had to modify the mounting to get these to fit.”

What would you do in this situation?

Thank you.

Ken
what I got out of that is that the lucas mx series is led? I looked at a couple such as the h13 which may or may not be applicable for your lights, those do not have any adjustment on them that I can see. led's a in projector housing probably will not work very well unless the projector was made for led, with the reflector the result is slightly better provided you can adjust them properly.
your lights look like they have projectors for the low beam and reflector for the high beam.
if you are satisfied with the high beam, but the low beam is funky I would go with HID's for the low beam instead of led
do you have pictures of the light output at night?
and also against a wall at about 20-25 feet away?
both with high beam and low beam
that would give us a better idea of what the results are from the lucas

OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you as a novice I am learning. So I am very happy with the high beams. Not happy with low beams. I’m will send pictures and let you decide. Thank you for taking the time. HID’s sound appealing. What do you recommend. What are good brands to look for.

Thank you

Ken

OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what I got out of that is that the lucas mx series is led? I looked at a couple such as the h13 which may or may not be applicable for your lights, those do not have any adjustment on them that I can see. led's a in projector housing probably will not work very well unless the projector was made for led, with the reflector the result is slightly better provided you can adjust them properly.
your lights look like they have projectors for the low beam and reflector for the high beam.
if you are satisfied with the high beam, but the low beam is funky I would go with HID's for the low beam instead of led
do you have pictures of the light output at night?
and also against a wall at about 20-25 feet away?
both with high beam and low beam
that would give us a better idea of what the results are from the lucas
As requested . From different angles. From approximately 25 feet. High beam low beam. I like the high beams not at all disappointed with that. It’s the low beams I’m not impressed with. When a Tesla has better higher beams then you know you didn’t get what your paying for.

I looked up HID’s or the Xion gas lights that looks great. Would I need ballest for the HID’s? Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_3240.jpeg
    IMG_3240.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3239.jpeg
    IMG_3239.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3238.jpeg
    IMG_3238.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3237.jpeg
    IMG_3237.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3236.jpeg
    IMG_3236.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the best photo l’s but it gives you a perspective.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_3165.jpeg
    IMG_3165.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3164.jpeg
    IMG_3164.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 2

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As requested . From different angles. From approximately 25 feet. High beam low beam. I like the high beams not at all disappointed with that. It’s the low beams I’m not impressed with. When a Tesla has better higher beams then you know you didn’t get what your paying for.

I looked up HID’s or the Xion gas lights that looks great. Would I need ballest for the HID’s? Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Ken
yes, I would order these, they have to ship from china so it takes around 3 weeks, these are very good quality ballast.
ballast: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113685340851

the HID bulbs are in general are all basically the same quality, there is no logical reason to overpay for some "brand name" I would just be sure to choose 6000k (color) that's the native color
I have these and they work fine, they should have the socket type you need. you just need to check which socket type your light housing uses for the projector side.
bulbs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/261924317257?var=560751536192
and it is probably a good idea to order 2 set's, so you have spare in case one happens to go out and you are not stuck with a light out because these are not sold in stores.

next it is a good idea to wire the HID's with a harness and a relay to the battery, hid's are power hungry they won't drain your battery or anything they just work best with full voltage. The stock vehicle light harness just is not the best choice when using hid, I would advise using a light harness, it is easy to hook up direct to the battery and a ground and then use the stock vehicle harness as a trigger for the relay. doing that gives the hid ballast a good connection directly to the battery
harness usually come somewhat universal but if you can tell me the bulb socket model then i can point you to a harness

Monz11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wes, I have spyder crap in my Hoe and am heading down to Fl soon, to train for Paris Qualifiers. I need to update my headlamps, just not sure, if I should go with HID bulbs, for now or pick up a whole new headlamp assembly, with HIDs? Ive researched a bunch but not many catch my eye. Seems a retrofit kit would end up being my best choice.
Did you get TRQ lamps and upgrade to HID in your silverado?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts