Lowered vs. raised 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pookie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious if there was a way to improve cornering (like beefier sway bars) by lowering the vehicle (lowering center of gravity) yet installing taller tires (kind of the trophy truck look without all the custom suspension) ? Anyone try this? I'm not against tweaking the fenders a little for clearance but don't really want to go full on cut up trail rig.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much turning radius you're willing to sacrifice and how crazy you wanna get with the camber and caster. Taller tires AND lowered would really only be a problem when turning or with the body leaning (as when turning at speed). So, get the beefiest sway bars available, get fresh bushings (polyurethane?), don't go nuts with the tire width and be mindful of the wheel backspacing, and clearance the inner fenders (washer bottle, etc.) as necessary. Whatever can't be clearanced for turning radius... Well, you're just gonna have to focus on power and positraction so you can throttle steer it.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really hard to get a trophy truck look without atleast some suspension modifications and hacking up your wheel wells. if you want cornering you want to go a little wider not taller with your tires anyway. stiffer sway bars lowering the truck a bit stiffer bushings as suggested by dub and adjusting the alignment for a better turn in. aa for your post topic vs your question about cornering lifting your truck will only hurt your cornering. trophy trucks get thier handling by using the body roll and extremely flexible suspension to help with cornering. and again as dub states throttle steer and straight up drifting. trophy trucks have no inner wheel well combined with the alignment setup can shove the tires well up inside the fender.

OP
OP
P

Pookie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I 'm thinking about larger sway bars, no more than a 2" front 3" rear drop. Not a fan of the little O ring tire look. I just need to do the mods then see what kind of clearances I have to work with.

Riki7s

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did a 2/5 Belltech drip kit and 285-45-22 Pirelli tires and it drives like a car in turns.No clearance issues. Makes driving a bit more fun. D31BBBDB-C3CE-4E56-BA4A-F13658AF5E64.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9