Looking To Join The Club... Denali, or Escalade??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Not_Far_From_Par

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to get into a comfortable, yet reliable DD to replace my TJ Wrangler...
I searched for a while before purchasing the TJ, but it's just not for me...
Guess i'm getting too old for such an uncomfortable rig!
Plus I'd like to be able to pull my enclosed trailer with a DD, instead of my Superduty...
So to those that have a good break down of each... which is the way to go??
Denali looks to be a hair cheaper, but price is hardly the issue...
I've settled on the 03-06ish years of either...
Possible 07+ for the right deal to gain 6.2l
Would love to hear what you seasoned owners have for feedback!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Denali and the Escalade are both capable vehicles! It really boils down to what you can’t live without in a vehicle. Do you have to have that extra wood trim? Lol If you’re looking at the GMT800 platform(2003-2006 Escalade and Denali) there aren’t a lot of major differences in the two, except the engine option. The Denali has the LQ4 6.0 and the Escalade has the LQ9 6.0, a tad more powerful but not a major difference. I’ve always wanted an Escalade, but when I bought my Denali at 23 I decided I didn’t absolutely need an Escalade at 23. So I went Denali and I don’t regret it at all. I’ve added a lot of Escalade like features, and even some of the features that were factory optioned only on the Escalade, like the roof rack, third tail light, the gauge cluster and such.

RRWW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had an 04 Denali XL, 04 Escalade base, and now have a 12 Escalade Platinum I like the creature comforts and a smooth ride.

Most differences between the two are cosmetic on the 02-06. Tad more power with the Escalade but the XL Denali towed better because of wheelbase.

I ran the 04 Escalade up to 225k miles and the Denali up to 285k miles. I'd call both vehicles reliable with normal repairs for the milage nothing major.

There is a world of difference moving up to the 6.2 as far as towing it's wayyy better. Transmission also helps this.

12' Escalade with factory 22's rides considerbly better then the older body style.

How big of trailer are you going to tow?

If you live in the Frozen North heated steering wheel is nice on the newer trucks. The cooled seats also are quite nice in the summer.

Both are great vehicles - can't go wrong either way

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The denali is AWD, The escalade is RWD or AWD. They are both also cosmetically improved inside and out, which do you like?
As for a DAILY, basing this only off what I have read, and I have never been in an 07+, I hear the 99-06 has better seats.
The 07+ Tahoes can be found pretty cheap under many govt auctions if thats your type and know how to search to find em. The 6.2 is about 30 lb ft and 30 hp more than the escalade 6.0. You can equal that out with a tune.

OP
OP
N

Not_Far_From_Par

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I actually really like the look of the Denali up to 07... always have
Not too concerned with the slightest of power difference, as i'm only going to pull a small 12x7 aluminum enclosed trailer which I keep my golf cart in

I already own a 6.7 Superduty & pull a 41'Toy Hauler with it

Denali seems to be the route to go for me
Problem in my neck of the woods (E.Washington desert) is finding one that IS NOT an XL

Hoping to pick something up within a few weeks

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned above, the GMT800 Escalade did have a rear wheel drive option but I think those were only made in 2002. I think from 2003-2006 they were all AWD, and if it was a RWD vehicle there were only a handful and few and far between. That being said my AWD is quite capable. Also to put it out there, the longer wheel base has better ride quality and is also a lot more stable while towing. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
N

Not_Far_From_Par

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As mentioned above, the GMT800 Escalade did have a rear wheel drive option but I think those were only made in 2002. I think from 2003-2006 they were all AWD, and if it was a RWD vehicle there were only a handful and few and far between. That being said my AWD is quite capable. Also to put it out there, the longer wheel base has better ride quality and is also a lot more stable while towing. Just my opinion.
Agreed, but my trailer being only 12x7 & aluminum, only weighs 970 lbs dry...
Cart is appx 1k lb
So the long wheelbase IMO is not necessary
But I will test drive one to see if I like the ride quality better, as I am going for comfort

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2010-2014 Denali is a good choice, I am not sure if someone was confused above or if I was in reading the comments but the 07+ Denali is available in 2wd or AWD

Tide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to get into a comfortable, yet reliable DD to replace my TJ Wrangler...
I searched for a while before purchasing the TJ, but it's just not for me...
Guess i'm getting too old for such an uncomfortable rig!
Plus I'd like to be able to pull my enclosed trailer with a DD, instead of my Superduty...
So to those that have a good break down of each... which is the way to go??
Denali looks to be a hair cheaper, but price is hardly the issue...
I've settled on the 03-06ish years of either...
Possible 07+ for the right deal to gain 6.2l
Would love to hear what you seasoned owners have for feedback!!

Either will do what you need.
What trim is your 6.7? I just got out of a lariat and wished I had gotten a platinum/KR from the get go. With that mentality the cadi is a no brainer over the Denali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk