Looking to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yroc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new here. I am looking to buy a 3rd gen Denali or Escalade. Prices are all over the place. I am looking for something with 100 to 150k miles depending on condition. After reading through the forums on here, I want to stay away from afm. I want a 6.2. I have found an escalade a good distance from me. (5hrs) It is a 2007 with 150k miles for under 9k. It seems like a good deal but being so far away, I hate to drive that far to be disappointed. According to owner, it is in good shape and runs great. From the owner:
Rear camera faulty and airbag light that throws stability light
Needs to be cleared off
All the airbags good tho
I am a little confuse about air bag light that throw stability light. That seems to be two different problems to me. At the asking price I wouldn't mind to throw a little money at it. I guess the warning lights would be my biggest concern. I know there is a ton of knowledge on the forum. I was hoping some one could maybe give me their thoughts the issues and purchasing.on
Thanks in advance.

Cory

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Sellers lie.

You should be much more worried about money lights that are on in the here and now and less worried about AFM which the great majority of vehicles never experience an issue.

An Esky will have more techno gadgetry in it and that’s what the great majority of real world problems involve.

Better a newer 5.3 than an older 6.2 is my opinion. Others may differ.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you located?

I love the 6.2 for the extra power and performance and have two of them. As Bill says, I wouldn't sweat the AFM if it's been maintained well (regular oil changes).

The Escalades are nice. Mine are Denalis which are similar in electronics and creature comforts, and I haven't had any problems with the gadgets, but some do. At that mileage, you're looking at motor mounts, heater hoses and tees, front suspension work, front differential mounts, and a few other things if they haven't been done already. I would get the VIN from the owner and get ahold of the carfax for it. It will tell you where it's lived its life and at least some of its history. I also wouldn't hesitate to buy a higher mileage unit if the price is right. I have 217K on my 2007, and it runs and drives like new. We're driving it to the mountains this weekend and on to Columbus next week. I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new here. I am looking to buy a 3rd gen Denali or Escalade. Prices are all over the place. I am looking for something with 100 to 150k miles depending on condition. After reading through the forums on here, I want to stay away from afm. I want a 6.2. I have found an escalade a good distance from me. (5hrs) It is a 2007 with 150k miles for under 9k. It seems like a good deal but being so far away, I hate to drive that far to be disappointed. According to owner, it is in good shape and runs great. From the owner:
Rear camera faulty and airbag light that throws stability light
Needs to be cleared off
All the airbags good tho
I am a little confuse about air bag light that throw stability light. That seems to be two different problems to me. At the asking price I wouldn't mind to throw a little money at it. I guess the warning lights would be my biggest concern. I know there is a ton of knowledge on the forum. I was hoping some one could maybe give me their thoughts the issues and purchasing.on
Thanks in advance.

Cory

In this crazy market that price seems low. Then again, I have no idea in what part of the country it resides in. A sixteen year old car is going to need at least a few thousand in repairs and maintenance to bring it up to a car guy's standards. You would want a good scan tool that can read all the codes, even those airbag ones and ones having to do with the brakes, like a Tech-2. This way you know what you're getting into before shaking hands.

Does it have service records?

What are your plans with it? How would you be using it?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You can easily get $10 - $20K into an 07-14 / NNBS truck before you get caught up on maint and repairs that have been put off or hidden. We sold our 08 YXL Denali for $12.5 (140K mi) with every single component gone through, repaired and checked off last year. It was a one owner truck just traded into a Mopar dealer. We purchased it for $20K (98K mi) in 2014 and purchased a $2.4K service contract (S/C) based out of CA.

By the time the truck was sold the S/C had paid out almost another $20K in repairs for radiators, alternators, two rear main seals & pan gaskets, rear magneride struts & and its air pump, rear axle backing plate seals which involves removing the axles and entry into the rear diff. A coolant recovery tank, battery, power rack & steering unit, twice. The first replacement was a dud. All the fluids and seals were included in the S/C repairs. Free, free, free.

The woman who bought our black on black Denali got a frick'n deal because she purchased it before the market inflation of 2021 made it worth another $10K.

If you're serious about finding a cream puff then contact this owner / enthusiast who just purchased a 2018 and will be selling his 2008 Esky Sport w/200k miles. 10k miles on the new engine and 45k miles on the transmission. It has the dash from a Platinum model (leather covered) so it will never crack.

Just PM you the link ...

OP
OP
Y

Yroc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. As of now the search continues.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts