Looking for scanner that can read mileage from BCM on 2015-19 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2Cool2Fool

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m looking to acquire a 2016-17 GMC Yukon SLT sub-120K mileage. There are lot of these cars offered for sale on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace - but most of them are from car-flippers - and most claim to have mileage between 90-105K. I know it’s realtively easy to swap out the instrument cluster, but in 2015-2109 GM models of Yukons (and Tahoes), the actual mileage is now also stored in the Body Control Module. So if the flipper swaps the instrument cluster without also re-programming the BCM - it will show up in a pre-purchase scan. (Here is the GM Service Bulletin that shows where the mileage is stored by model: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10244214-0001.pdf).

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive OBDII scanner that can read the milaeage data from the BCM? Neither my Blue Driver or Topdon scanners can read the BCM data. (I’m looking for read-only - not bidirectional).
Thanks!

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
I can confirm that my VCX Nano can read the mileage from the BCM. It seems to round differently and convert from metric differently from the cluster but it is there in GDS2 just like it should be on my 2015.5.

OP
OP

2Cool2Fool

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can confirm that my VCX Nano can read the mileage from the BCM. It seems to round differently and convert from metric differently from the cluster but it is there in GDS2 just like it should be on my 2015.5.
Thanks for checking. It looks like I need a laptop to run the VCX Nano - is that true? I was hoping to find a scanner that was self contained (I'm not sure most sellers would be comfortable having a prospective buyer hooking up a PC to their car).

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
Thanks for checking. It looks like I need a laptop to run the VCX Nano - is that true? I was hoping to find a scanner that was self contained (I'm not sure most sellers would be comfortable having a prospective buyer hooking up a PC to their car).
Correct on the laptop or something that can run Windows programs with a usb port at least. I haven't had anything beyond the $11 bluetooth obd2 scanners besides this VCX but I wanted to point it out as the value is pretty high if you can use it. As far as sellers being comfortable I think most that I have dealt with over the years would and they can always watch what you're doing. They've got to be willing to let you look under the hood figuratively and literally or you can't really know what you're buying and I think most people would avoid a seller that won't let them.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also look at the carfax before purchasing and see if there are any discrepancies.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to acquire a 2016-17 GMC Yukon SLT sub-120K mileage. There are lot of these cars offered for sale on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace - but most of them are from car-flippers - and most claim to have mileage between 90-105K. I know it’s realtively easy to swap out the instrument cluster, but in 2015-2109 GM models of Yukons (and Tahoes), the actual mileage is now also stored in the Body Control Module. So if the flipper swaps the instrument cluster without also re-programming the BCM - it will show up in a pre-purchase scan. (Here is the GM Service Bulletin that shows where the mileage is stored by model: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10244214-0001.pdf).

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive OBDII scanner that can read the milaeage data from the BCM? Neither my Blue Driver or Topdon scanners can read the BCM data. (I’m looking for read-only - not bidirectional).
Thanks!
go ahead and try slapping a used cluster in a 2015-2020 gm vehicle, it won't work unless it is programmed to the vehicle
and.....as noted
"*The odometer programming is integrated as part of the BCM programming procedure. It is not a stand-alone event"

in other words you cannot have a ipc show one thing and the bcm show another.......
that bulletin just outlines which procdure is used on a particular model vehicle.
if you put a used ipc in a 15-20 without it being programmed it may even just brick the cluster

OP
OP

2Cool2Fool

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's good information - thanks! So it would appear that the only thing i can really rely on for a true picture of the real mileage is CarFax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kfriesen91