Light Sensor???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
Not sure if that is the correct term for it, but where is the "light sensor"? The sensor that determines when to turn your headlights on if they are in auto, and I assume its the same sensor that controls whether the navigation is in day or night mode?

I think "that" sensor is not working properly on my hoe...during the night it works fine...turns on the headlights, nav is in night mode...during the day though, my headlights may or may not come on when in auto mode, and the nav may or may not be in night mode. It's pretty much a 50/50 chance it thinks its dark outside when its bright out...its really pissing me off and I need to know if this is normal, lol, or if I have a f***ed up sensor.

Thanks for any help.

-Ryan

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the little bubble plastic thingie on top of your dash in the center by the defroster vents.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

This is one from an NBS but it looks similar:

a08a_2.jpg

OP
OP
ranorris2

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
I figured thats what it was...does it sound like mine is performing like it should compared to yours and/or others? How do I test this sensor, or would it be best to just buy a new one? I would think they cant be expensive, but then again it is gm, most of their crap is way overpriced...

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sensors themselves are cheap ... I just don't know what's involved with swapping them. Could be as easy as unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one, or knowing GM, it could require disassembly of the entire dash.

Have you fiddled about with your nav display settings lately ?
Sometimes that can muck it up.

As far as the way mine work, keep in mind that these things are somewhat complicated.

There's the basic if it's night it goes into night mode and day in day mode.
But there's also times, in bad weather or an eclipse :) , where the sensor communicates with the clock and realizes that even though it's dark out it is still day time. In these instances it will turn the headlights on but still keep the display on day mode.

Is that what you're talking about?

OP
OP
ranorris2

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
I have not messed with the nav settings since i installed it a few months ago...I guess really I could care less if my headlights come on whenever, but what really bothers me is when the nav has the black background instead of the white when its bright and sunny outside. If my headlights are on my nav is dark, and sometimes headlights can be off and my nav will be on dark mode, if nav is in day mode my headlights are off...idk how to explain it because it doesn't happen all the time.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like there might indeed be a problem there, you shouldn't have the dark background during the day. :think:

I believe the PN for the sensor is 25713063, but double check to be sure. And I don't know how much is involved in replacing it.

However, this might not be a sensor issue since from what you describe the relationship between the sensor and the lights seems correct. Meaning that it's not turning your lights on or off when it shouldn't. This would leave one to think that the news might be worse than a simple sensor failure and that your nav might be having an issue. :(

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I say you replace it. It should be cheap and very easy to replace. I am thinking of replacing mine only because sometimes it seems as if my headlights stay on too long during a sunny day after leaving a dark garage.

OP
OP
ranorris2

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
Sounds like there might indeed be a problem there, you shouldn't have the dark background during the day. :think:

I believe the PN for the sensor is 25713063, but double check to be sure. And I don't know how much is involved in replacing it.

However, this might not be a sensor issue since from what you describe the relationship between the sensor and the lights seems correct. Meaning that it's not turning your lights on or off when it shouldn't. This would leave one to think that the news might be worse than a simple sensor failure and that your nav might be having an issue. :(

I will start and end with installing the new sensor and seeing if that works...if it doesn't then when it starts pissing me off I will just manually switch it on the nav, ill show that navigation who is boss haha...

And how do you find these part numbers so quickly? I have been looking for that number and could not find it lol

I say you replace it. It should be cheap and very easy to replace. I am thinking of replacing mine only because sometimes it seems as if my headlights stay on too long during a sunny day after leaving a dark garage.

Yeah i agree with you, it should switch alot quicker...in my lexus the switching is immediate, sometimes i can be driving through a tunnel or under some bridges and it will switch back and forth instantly....

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The switching is supposed to lag behind so as not to turn the lights on and off unnecessarily over a brief change in ambient lighting.

And lol about the part nos ... yeah, I've looked up so many parts I've gotten the hang of where and how to look for them quickly. :)

OP
OP
ranorris2

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
Just picked one up on ebay for a total of $13.56....

Here is the link to one if you want one Modded: 25713063

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

The switching is supposed to lag behind so as not to turn the lights on and off unnecessarily over a brief change in ambient lighting.

And lol about the part nos ... yeah, I've looked up so many parts I've gotten the hang of where and how to look for them quickly. :)

Well I should mention on my lexus the headlights would not come on in the brief changes but the interior lighting would brighten up and the nav would turn to the dark mode which is nice whether its suppose to be that way or not haha

Unfortunately for you, you just won free PM's from me when I need a part number for my hoe :Handshake: hahahaha jk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6

Latest posts