Liftgate to tailgate conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TT53SilveradoDave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I was riding some trails a couple of weeks ago with the family and enjoying the day in the 03 Yukon XL I picked up a few weeks before. I got to telling my son about trail rides in my Jeep and K5 before he was born. When we got out to look around and kill some time I thought how nice it'd be to have a tailgate to sit on. Did the conversion on my Wrangler and the K5 ofcourse had a tailgate. I know it would take alot of fab work but has anyone seen or done a roll down rear window and tailgate conversion on any GM SUV on the GMT800 platform? I may have to start picking up hatches from scrapyards and start workin it out cuz I think it'll be awesome if it comes together.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I f I was contemplating something like this, I would retain the original liftgate. Cut it in half below the glass and keep the upper hinges. Remove the wiper mount and expand the opening to accept a truck tailgate type latch. Replace the original liftgate latches along the bottom with hinges.

I would imagine that Sierra/Silverado tailgates would be a starting point to take measurements.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was riding some trails a couple of weeks ago with the family and enjoying the day in the 03 Yukon XL I picked up a few weeks before. I got to telling my son about trail rides in my Jeep and K5 before he was born. When we got out to look around and kill some time I thought how nice it'd be to have a tailgate to sit on. Did the conversion on my Wrangler and the K5 ofcourse had a tailgate. I know it would take alot of fab work but has anyone seen or done a roll down rear window and tailgate conversion on any GM SUV on the GMT800 platform? I may have to start picking up hatches from scrapyards and start workin it out cuz I think it'll be awesome if it comes together.

Search the forum, someone mentioned wanting to do this a year or three ago.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like my Yukon, but I think having a large hatch was a dumb idea. I like the way the S-10 Blazers had the tailgate or the way the K-5 and Broncos had the tailgate with roll-down window.