Liftgate issues, replaced actuator still nothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tngal18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced the liftgate rod on my 2016, the drivers side is the power actuator, and has the plug from the harness, the passenger side is passive. If you have replaced both of these not sure what the problem would be.
Yep. Replaced both.

OP
OP
T

Tngal18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Will close on its own . But will not open with power now. Have to open manually. When you try to open taillights just flash. Also glass will not open at all

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will close on its own . But will not open with power now. Have to open manually. When you try to open taillights just flash. Also glass will not open at all
how is the rear wiper operation? I haven't messed with a k2 rear hatch but in previous generations if the rear wiper is not parked properly then the glass will not open.
but if the wiper is up top on these then it might not matter but it could maybe have something to do with it.

OP
OP
T

Tngal18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
how is the rear wiper operation? I haven't messed with a k2 rear hatch but in previous generations if the rear wiper is not parked properly then the glass will not open.
but if the wiper is up top on these then it might not matter but it could maybe have something to do with it.
Yea, wiper is up top. I just don't understand why the liftgate will close but not open automatically

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, wiper is up top. I just don't understand why the liftgate will close but not open automatically
how about the backup sensors? any issue there, have you tested them for proper operation? if not you can test them with a helper or put it in reverse and apply the parking brake so it will not move and then place your hand or a object over each sensor one at a time and listen for a beep from each sensor. also might not have anything to do with anything.
does yours have the bottom foot sensor? so if you swipe your foot under it the hatch opens? if so maybe that is dirty or something? possibly causing an error
just spit balling here, but if there is no other issue it could maybe be one of the parts already replaced is not working correctly or some form of calibration is needed.
a gds2 tool would maybe reveal the issue

OP
OP
T

Tngal18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
how about the backup sensors? any issue there, have you tested them for proper operation? if not you can test them with a helper or put it in reverse and apply the parking brake so it will not move and then place your hand or a object over each sensor one at a time and listen for a beep from each sensor. also might not have anything to do with anything.
does yours have the bottom foot sensor? so if you swipe your foot under it the hatch opens? if so maybe that is dirty or something? possibly causing an error
just spit balling here, but if there is no other issue it could maybe be one of the parts already replaced is not working correctly or some form of calibration is needed.
a gds2 tool would maybe reveal the issue
Not the sensors

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the sensors
then either the motor is not working properly or the assist gas cylinder is not working properly or something is binding up so it hits max resistance.
the hatch is designed to stop and reverse if it hits something, this calculates into initial lifting also if it sense's too much weight it gives up. i.e. lift motor not having enough torque/voltage/too much lift resistance
low voltage can cause it to not operate properly.
going to take some troubleshooting, you can try a finger assist and see if it goes up with a little help
check battery voltage and be sure you have 12v+.
with a good tool you can command it open/close and any errors may show up, that kind of error will not show up in the DIC

OP
OP
T

Tngal18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New info.

Called the dealership and found out it had a code. B396a

Looks like it is the module and not what I replaced . Has anyone had to replace this?

trottida

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the 2015+ models but on the 2007-14 models the liftgate glass not opening may have to do with the wiper motor transmission not sensing that the wiper is in park position. It will only allow the liftgate glass to open when in park position. I'm not sure if it is the same on the 2015+ as the wiper is at the top of the glass rather than the bottom but it might be worth investigating. Perhaps their is a sensor in the glass latch mechanism that will not allow the liftgate to open if it senses the glass is open. I'd try to resolve the glass not opening issue first and it may kill 2 birds with one stone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
03tahoejunk