lift gate not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chartersj

Reaction score
The power lift gate stopped working on our 2017 yukon. Neither the rear button on the gate, the inside button above the rear view mirror, or key fob will open it. However the instrument cluster will say that it is open. I searched and it seems when people have problems it will begin to open but stop after a couple inches. Ours will not try to open at all. I should mention the window in the hatch will pop open with the key fob.
Has anyone encountered the same problem?

OP
OP
C

chartersj

Reaction score
Did you check fuses?
So I got home to try it. It worked fine the first 3 times I tried it then, when pressing the button on the gate i heard a click, and it tried to push open but then quit before it could open. After that the button becomes unresponsive.
If you let it sit some more and fiddle with the off/3/4/full open toggle inside eventually the bottom on the gate Will unlock it and you can use it manually. Switch it back to power after it’s open and it will power close,,, then again,, it will click as if it’s going to open but fail to after it tries to open. Seems like it’s either the lift actuator or the power unlatch to me,,,,don’t really want to start throwing parts at it that is not needed

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bi-directional scanner would be helpful in zeroing down to the root cause of your issue.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from your description it sounds like a little of both the actuator and lift motor
the problem here is getting a official diganosis cost's as much as the parts do that still have to be replaced anyway unless you happen to already own a tool to check it electronicaly.
:shrug:

OP
OP
C

chartersj

Reaction score
The closest dealer takes me a full day round trip to get to. The lift gate was working intermittently but has gotten worse and won’t open at all now. All I hear now is a faint click when you hit the open button on the lift gate.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As @Doubeleive stated, I would probably opt for a parts test. You could try the lift strut first and do a process of elimination. I do recall that I chased something similar on my 2009 and it ended up being the latch mechanism not fully releasing.

Buy GM to save yourself a headache. I used Dorman the first time and got the joy of doing it again shortly thereafter. Also to note, IF the latch fails, you have to drill a hole in the door panel to stick a probe in and release it. I'd probably fix sooner than later.

OP
OP
C

chartersj

Reaction score
Well we took it to the dealership to see which part it needs and they didn’t bother to look at it. A full day wasted for my wife and babysitter to boot. Guess I was better off to throw parts at it,,, last time I will be going there.
Trunk is not doing anything but a very faint click when you hit the open button, doesn’t try to open at all. Think I will start with the latch mechanism

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thought I would update this,, I put a new latch on and seems to be working as it should now
Please add 'SOLVED' to your thread title so that future folks know that your thread contains a solution to your issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon