License Plate bulb removal (help!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeLuv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can't get the bulb out!! I took off the plastic housing and I tried pulling the bulb, unscrewing it and trying to mess with the socket. Can someone please tell me if i'm supposed to unscrew or pull it out? I don't want to break it. Also, I'm putting in some new Led lights, can you touch those with your fingers or should I wear gloves?

Thanks!!!

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
You get the bulb out from the back, you don't have to take off the plastic housing. If you reach around behind the bumper you just twist and pull. The whole socket will come out with wires attached you then pull the bulb our and put in the LED....and yes you can touch it w/o gloves.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
its just a wedge type bulb. You should wear glove just in case the glass breaks. If that happens, just use some pliers to pull it.

deangrell

Reaction score
No....Open the rear hatch, find the two screws on the side for the tail light, pull it out enough to work with. the harness splits into 3 little harnesses, twist and pull out the middle harness. Then remove the light by tugging lightly. No need to remove the plastic at all. Repeat on other side.

To make things easier, you can reach under the bumper and unplug the harness going to each light, allowing you to remove the light completely.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
post a pic. I have a 08, all i had to do is Remove 4 screws, 2x per lens cover, remove the cover, Then Pull the the Bulb straight out.

OP
OP
T

TahoeLuv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No....Open the rear hatch, find the two screws on the side for the tail light, pull it out enough to work with. the harness splits into 3 little harnesses, twist and pull out the middle harness. Then remove the light by tugging lightly. No need to remove the plastic at all. Repeat on other side.

To make things easier, you can reach under the bumper and unplug the harness going to each light, allowing you to remove the light completely.

Are you talking about the tailliight bulbs? I'm talking about the license plate bulbs on a 2007 tahoe. Sorry I'm confused!

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Sumo... I think you're explaining it right! I'm gonna try exactly that : )

Will the bulb be able to withstand pliers or will the glass break do you think?

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the tailliight bulbs? I'm talking about the license plate bulbs on a 2007 tahoe. Sorry I'm confused!

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Sumo... I think you're explaining it right! I'm gonna try exactly that : )

Will the bulb be able to withstand pliers or will the glass break do you think?

IMO just break the bulb and pull the end out with pliers... don't have to deal with exploding glass.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
yea its probably just wedged in there good. Dont have to worry about breaking anything other than the Bulb itself. Remember if the new led doesnt work, Flip the bulb and it should will work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missymom68