Leveling kit concerns....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grebesbakery

Reaction score
Looking at picking up a 2" leveling for a 2012 burban. I understand the point of the kit to level the truck out.

Of course GM has reason for having the front lower. Im sure it has something to do with handling and towing. When putting a load on the back, the rear sags down to level with the front so the front lights aren't pointing in the air. Also i would assume having a level truck makes for stable towing.

This brings me to my concern. These trucks look amazing when they are leveled out with these kits, BUT once you put a trailer on, i would think the front end will end up being higher then the rear. I hate that look, makes it look like the truck isnt capable to pulling a load.

Is this what will happen if i were to add a kit? I do a far amount of towing.

My second concern is if this will change
the ride off the front shocks?

Last, is it necessary to get an alignment? Im guessing you would need to.

Any info would be great!

boomer71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the 2.5 CCM kit on my Z71 Suburban (see my post a few down).
I think the reason these trucks are actually designed nose down is for aerodynamics, it helps to channel air over the smoother top of the vehicle verses the less aerodynamic underpinnings.

I've pulled some trailers with my prev Sequoia and that truck would get nose up pretty easily. I haven't pulled anything with the Suburban yet but the other day I had about 600 lbs of wall block inside the truck behind the 3rd row. It stayed almost perfectly flat, so I would think you'd be fine unless your carrying some high tongue weights with your trailer.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Yes, nose down is an aerodynamics thing. Once you level you'll lose a minimal amount of mpg. As for towing, most I've hauled was about 1500 lbs. No problem with squat there. I'm getting ready for a long haul with a car and trailer at the end of the month. I have the Ready Lift 2.25f/1.5r leveling kit. It does keep the rear slightly higher than the front. If you're worried about sag when towing I'd consider this kit. As for an alignment, yes get one after install. You're messing with the suspension after all. Additionally, re-aim your headlights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

grebesbakery

Reaction score
Makes sense, Thanks for the info. I am thinking of adding coil airbags from AirLift in the rear, had them in my last truck and they worked amazing.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not towed anything yet, but I just moved my family to VA. We loaded the Tahoe with alot of crap, 620lbs according to the weight ticket (military move). The truck looked nose high, but not a drastic sag in back. The air bag would definitely help as the 2" rough country that I have puts the front dead level, if anything slightly higher with a full tank of gas.

If you want 2" only, I would go with a bottom spacer kit, whether it be rough country or a billet aluminum kit off ebay, either way you are looking at $75 or less. If you feel that the rear still looks low you can get a small spacer for the rear springs and it will still be cheaper than any other kit, and its something you can install in your driveway in an hour or so.

An alignment is definitely needed. Mine was off a good bit, but was corrected without any special camber kits.

Reaction score
I had a CCM kit on my Tahoe which is 2.5F/1.0R and I towed a 5500lbs Mastercraft X45 ski boat no problem. I had 305/55 BFG's and the tahoe performed great. Yes the rear does sag alot but it will still tow anything you want as long as its not over the towing capacity.

RMM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Truck looks good, what model/size tires are those?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spargewort

Latest posts