LED Tails Not Working Right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm picking up my Tahoe from paint tomorrow FINALLY. It should look pretty good, but the shop is still having issues with the LED tails not working correctly. They're going to put the stock one's back on for now, but once I get it, I'm going to tear into it and see what is going on.

The issue he said they're having is that there are no brake lights and when they do hit the brakes, the dash lights dim. When they re-install the originals, they work perfectly. I've heard some people talk about polarity issues but I'm not exactly sure what to look for if it is this type of problem. I thought there was only one way to plug them in and were somewhat idiot proof, but could there be something not wired correctly from the manufacturer that I need to look at? Anyone else have this issue?

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a polarity issue, mine were used and only one set had labels on the wires stating to "line up with the black wire" on the stock bulb sockets.

I didn't catch this at first and I had the fast blink turn signal issue, and no running lights.
Also the truck's light sockets do not line up with the way you would think the sockets should go on the LEDs, so I had that issue plus the polarity issue.

It took a while to figure out, but once figured out they worked flawlessly.
Just remember that whatever way you hook them up on one side, you need to hook them up the same way on the oppisite side, or they won't work correctly either.

Mine actually have the resistor or whatever box on the back.

I think that is why mine were returned, the original purchaser had trouble getting them right (or they were totally ****** up and I just happened to find the right combination) and sent them back, allowing me to get a smokin deal on them off of ebay

chistoso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I installed mine, the fuse would blow when the polarity was reversed. Blew 3 fuses before I figured it out. Voltage meter is your friend here..

OP
OP
Big Tap

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, got the problem fixed this weekend. Holy hell were these things wrong. The pins on the LED harness were not even close to being in the right spots for the trucks harness, causing electrical hell to break loose. I ended up taking all of the pins out of the LED harness and ohming out the stock taillight harness, then replicating it on the LED harness. Luckily the pins just popped in and out, so I didn't have to hack the harness up with splicing and what not. It was a pain, but they now work great.

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
Yes, got the problem fixed this weekend. Holy hell were these things wrong. The pins on the LED harness were not even close to being in the right spots for the trucks harness, causing electrical hell to break loose. I ended up taking all of the pins out of the LED harness and ohming out the stock taillight harness, then replicating it on the LED harness. Luckily the pins just popped in and out, so I didn't have to hack the harness up with splicing and what not. It was a pain, but they now work great.

pics lit up? just had to ask...lol.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
you'd think these places that made these would make them plug and play by now.........

OP
OP
Big Tap

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you'd think they would have done it right by now, but it was almost as if they arbitrarily put the pins in random slots in the harness. It was jacked up.

No pics of them yet. I just got it back from paint on Friday. I still need to do a few things to it, but here is a picture I got with my phone. I'll probably try to get some more as soon as I install the drop and exhaust.

TahoeNew.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
username69