LED headlight success?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get a set of LED headlights for my Tahoe but I’ve heard so many stories about them throwing Check Engine lights. Anyone have any success with a particular brand that didn’t cause a check engine light?

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have them in mine, not sure what brand but no issues.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get a set of LED headlights for my Tahoe but I’ve heard so many stories about them throwing Check Engine lights. Anyone have any success with a particular brand that didn’t cause a check engine light?

You won’t get a check engine light for changing any bulbs. Worst case scenario would be if you used LED turn signals. You would get hyper flash if you don’t use resistors.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The choice of an LED lighting system MUST include LED assemblies that are rotationally adjustable. Otherwise, there is a good chance that you won't have the correct beam positioning. Also fan cooled LEDs will better dissipate the internal hear generated by the LEDs.

Don't cheap out, as you often get what you paid for (at best). I've used a couple of brands of LED systems, and I settled on GTR Ultra 2 LEDs. They are expensive, but they are guaranteed for the life.

The actual LED beam adjustment mechanism is different for different brands/models, but the instructions supplied with the LEDs (or an installation guide on their product web site) should guide you through the process.

Bottom line, the popsicle stick in the LED headlight holding the LED chips needs to be as close to vertical as possible, after installed and locked into place in the headlight housing, with the LED chips pointing to the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. The photo of the guide below, while not for your specific brand/model, will give you a visual sense of how these LED headlights need to be positioned in a correct alignment within the headlight housing.

LED Headlight Alignment Guide.jpg

The fast flash is called hyperflash, and you need to install resistors in those circuits, in order to slow down the flash. I left the hyperflash on mine, as I believe that the fast flash attracts more attention from other motorists, and after all, that is the purpose of the directional signals in the first place. I will note that hyperflash is illegal in some states.

One other item to note...... Installation of aftermarket (not on originally equipped vehicle) LED headlights for on-road use is illegal in the USA, and the DOT notified dealers and repair shops 2 years ago that they need to step up enforcement on this when performing inspections (most probably don't though).

I trust that this info will be helpful to you.

Last edited:

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a bulb goes out, or isn't functioning properly, the driver information center on your cluster will display a message about a light failure. But no check engine light.

And when it comes to things like lights and brakes, buy once cry once is my answer. Don't go cheap.

MainahBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the upgrade-no codes and made a huge difference in night driving. I used Supernova LEDs (http://www.supernovaleds.com/) after a lot of research. Fantastic lighting and a good warranty.
The only issues I had were 1) removing the air intake box-find a good YouTube to guide you and 2) trying to get the bulbs to seat as my hands are pretty big and the openings for the headlight bulbs are pretty small.

markni12301

Reaction score

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220831-065936_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220831-065936_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 9

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I click on that link I see the following which makes me apprehensive because the HIDs and LEDs are new to me and there are so many varying opinions on retrofitting.

If that makes you nervous then for sure don’t read your owners manual about replacing bulbs with LED lighting…

Your ‘15 Yukon Denali has factory HIDs for low beams. There’s an OEM OSRAM 35W ballast and OEM OSRAM D3S bulb.

There are different considerations when converting from HID to LED vs the factory halogen low beam projector guys (Tahoe/Suburban LS & LT models and Yukon non-Denali models) dropping in H11 LED bulbs into their low beams.

It’s doable. There are D series LED bulbs out there. You’d need a D3S bulb. I’m just not 100% clear on how they react with the ballast. I guess that’s the power source, but it’s only putting out 35W. Some of the super bright LED bulbs coming out are 45W, 50W, and 55W bulbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick