Lease an SLT for <600/mth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose my point is more to the light of the excess money put into leased and constant new vehicles could be better put to use, say, in an appreciating investment. I totally understand that all cases will be different, as I mentioned stress mitigation and the simple fact that people (like on this forum) have hobbies that ARE their vehicle. You, for example. But do you put $8,000 towards your vehicle every single year? Sure to pay off a loan on a new vehicle, but we get that. Do you dump $8,000 on repairs, and even mods, on your vehicle annually? I would hope not. Some may make that big trigger pull, but lets just distribute that to the other years of minimal costs due to that one big purchase.

But yes, I see your point that I am arguing about culture more so than what I originally intended. It is just hard to see money thrown around, and out, with this kind of stuff.
No, most years I do not throw $8k into mods and/or upkeep of vehicles but I have had years where I did. Some by choice, some due to necessity. I do know a lot of people that $8k (or more) in mods in a year or even months is a drop in the bucket but most of them it doesn't make a meaningful impact on their financial standing. Then there are those that do it all on credit and eventually it catches up to them.

In the end, for a majority on this forum and most other auto related forums this is their hobby like you stated and what $8k means to one person means something different to someone else.

Anyway, not sure why I chose to respond other than say these kinds of things are what makes the world go around as well as continue to keep our economy going. It's up to each individual to decide how they want to spend their money :) I know I'd rather spend my "extra" money on fun stuff like vehicles than anything else. As long the higher priority things in life are handled all is good from my stand point :)

OP
OP
A

AngeloUCF

Reaction score
Not to challenge anyone here directly, I just have a question. Why are y'all bothering to lease? Especially when you are saying that in less than 4 years of leasing you'll be at MSRP in payments. Why not purchase the vehicle with that length of loan (or cash if you have it now), enjoy the 5 year/100k warranty, drive safely, and have an asset that is still worth something despite some depreciation?

The only reasoning I can think of for the decision to lease up to the MSRP is that you can have an extremely effective return of investment with the money that would be used to purchase, by instead investing elsewhere. Basically, instead of leasing a vehicle for funsies and being 53k (using the OP's number) in with no vehicle to your name in the end, you have that 53k now and are using a certain amount each month to lease the vehicle while the rest appreciates in an aggressive investment.

I see a whole lot about leasing on this forum, but never reasons. So, whatcha got? Again, for my own curiosity.

Thanks!

I'll tell you why leasing works for me.

#1 this is a 1st model year car, and I simply won't buy the first model year. In my experience the 2nd year has a lot more of the bugs worked out.

#2 I only drive around 5k miles a year, so I can get a pretty good deal on a lease with 10k miles.

#3 I do work for an investment manager and would be much better off with $50k in one of our funds rather than in my garage, like you mentioned.

Also, it's 600 x 39 = $23K spent over 3+ years which isn't terrible since there's a $34k residual value. Same as buying and selling in 3 years anyway...

PeteKT

Reaction score
I got a $73,000 LTZ fully loaded every option ordered Tahoe for $700 a year zero down and 36 month.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$700/year? :think:

PeteKT

Reaction score
:chair: ok ok god you know what I ment 700 a month for 3 years LOL

07Burb

GM fan for life