L86 intake swap on a 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend this to anyone looking for more engine noise and of course a little more power. Worth the 200 or so it costs. The AFE already helped things sound good in the cab but swapping the intake took the noise up another notch. Seat of the pants is biased but you can notice it a touch. Got to data log for BB to update my tune but the noise is so much more throaty. Install is super easy took a little over an hour as I did a bit of cleanup in the valley cover area and installed a new catch can as well. If you detach the plastic beauty cover from the intake and leave it behind you do not have to fight with the harness clips in the rear just the ones on the side. Makes things much easier to just slide the intake from under it.

20210403_112601.jpg 20210403_202719.jpg

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am curious as to your new torque number...have you dyno'd the vehicle before

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in all honesty, i am doubting any noticeable difference. those intake are very close in volume...i am willing to bet the "feel" is just more noise from the cover (insulator) being removed.

maybe not, but with out a larger throttle body, i would not expect much gain.

OP
OP
T

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in all honesty, i am doubting any noticeable difference. those intake are very close in volume...i am willing to bet the "feel" is just more noise from the cover (insulator) being removed.

maybe not, but with out a larger throttle body, i would not expect much gain.

Cover is still on itll bolt right up. Its not a big difference but there is a difference. Id have to find the dyno charts again but swapping the l86 onto the l83 gives practically the same gains as swapping to a aftermarket manifold such as the MSD atomic manifold.

Also its the L86 throttle body which is larger. The opening in the TB from the L86 swallows the L83 TB inlet with gaps. I see I missed some details on the original post that is my fault completely. I wrote that late at night.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That all helps greatly...so my comment to that is ...CUSTOM TUNE. period.

I don't see any other option to get the most put of it.

Now, that said...everyone looks at gains and that is fine...but where are they ?

In my other world...American V twins, I favor cams for the most midrange. That is the most used portion, all the top end gains mean nothing when you can rarely get there.

Same here...not saying there isn't gains, or won't be gains, but again they may be in the upper rpm range.

I would like to see real world dyno sheet, along with a personal real world driving take on it.

So we have that. More than likely has some gains...but is it worth it ? To the vast majority...no, but to you...absolutely.

I think ahead in terms of possibly doing a small cam upgrade to ours, now knowing this intake is a viable cheap option...it will be considered at that time.

Thanks for the info, keep.posting any notices or dyno runs you may do...even a tune if you go that route.

OP
OP
T

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That all helps greatly...so my comment to that is ...CUSTOM TUNE. period.

I don't see any other option to get the most put of it.

Now, that said...everyone looks at gains and that is fine...but where are they ?

In my other world...American V twins, I favor cams for the most midrange. That is the most used portion, all the top end gains mean nothing when you can rarely get there.

Same here...not saying there isn't gains, or won't be gains, but again they may be in the upper rpm range.

I would like to see real world dyno sheet, along with a personal real world driving take on it.

So we have that. More than likely has some gains...but is it worth it ? To the vast majority...no, but to you...absolutely.

I think ahead in terms of possibly doing a small cam upgrade to ours, now knowing this intake is a viable cheap option...it will be considered at that time.

Thanks for the info, keep.posting any notices or dyno runs you may do...even a tune if you go that route.

No dyno local I would love to have done a before and after. I am fully tuned via blackbear. I am awaiting my update for the intake right now they have the new datalog so it should not be much longer before I have it.

Overall though I think I have $200 in this swap and maybe 30 minutes of labor. Ill look up others dyno sheets tonight to share. As far as a cam swap goes that is next on my list to do along with headers.

OP
OP
T

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok 2 dyno charts posted from others who tested the swap. One is a test of the just 6.2 TB swap and then the 6.2 TB and intake, the other is a graph of the MSD atomic VS the 6.2 when swapped on a 5.3. Also posted link is to a thread where someone was doing a ton of testing and proving what was best to settle others arguments. Bang for buck its a great swap and provides good support for future mods such as the cam. Keep in mind the one testing the TB swap then the TB and intake involved no tuning to maximize gains. SO there was a a touch of power left on the table to be had. The one VS the atomic intake was with a cam already in the truck so his baseline was higher.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/194700-intake-manifold-swap/page/2/#comments

Untitled.png dyno.jpg

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So BTR and Rich Holdner just dyno'd these intakes on a cammed 5.3, see it on youtube...

Not as impressive as I had hoped for....

OP
OP
T

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a link you could post or send me? or is the channel in their name? Id love to go look. NVM I found it.

Watching they did that with no tune. But 10HP with no tune isnt awful. Its far less than a CAI setup that will give no more with a tune. The extra noise is nice as well. Would have been better to see them test stock engine with no cam swap and a tune to see what the most it will give is.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts